Scallops- never tried them

I too haven't tried these, is there anything that you can say that they taste like? Or texture wise, could you compare them to something?

I too haven't tried these, is there anything that you can say that they taste like? Or texture wise, could you compare them to something?

No

Not really that I can think of and I suppose that is why I think Tarquin should try them asap.

The Coral can be soft and comparable in texture to foie gras or chicken liver parfait at a push, it's got a sort of creaminess to it. I can't think of anything for the muscle.

I bought a couple of scallops today from Morrisons( on special offer at the mo' apparently) 2 for £1.42 ;I dont know if thats cheap for them ?

Anyway I probably overcooked them a tad as parts of them were a bit tough but they were rather delish:thumbsup::cool:

I've only had them once, at a Highland games festival on Islay, they were freshly caught and lightly cooked on a bbq, really gorgeous.

I've always meant to try some myself but get the feeling I will be dissapointed compared.

The Coral can be soft and comparable in texture to foie gras or chicken liver parfait at a push, it's got a sort of creaminess to it. I can't think of anything for the muscle.

I can't bear to eat the coral, I think it's awful!

Was in Tesco on Abbeydale Rd recently and they had loads in the bargain section. I got my girlfriend a tub of about 8 (with coral) for £2. She liked them but I was quite cautious with the flavouring (garlic and a bit of lime) and she said they could have taken quite a bit more. In short, cook carefully but don't be scared of adding flavour.

If you get fresh ones, and just steam them, without overcooking them, then you can truly taste the "sea". The saltiness of the sea water etc. Also, the texture if cooked correctly should be very very soft. Kind of like ... a piece of cornfed chicken, it still has that threaded texture to it, but it is even more softer than cooked chicken. Cornfed chicken is softer than normal chicken, and that is why many like it. I cannot think of anything similar. I was going to say the level of software is like marshmellow, but maybe a little bit tougher than marshmellow, but lighter than chicken meat.

Only fresh ones will taste like that. Some pre-cooked ones or preserved ones are can be tougher.

I watched Market Kitchen yesterday and one of the Chefs deep fried some scallops in a beer batter; seemed to take seconds to fry. One to try I think:thumbsup:

Scallops are so nice and I agree, I just don't understand why some restaraunts take the coral off - it's the best bit. I did some for a dinner party recently with a mint pea puree and I also made a swish of black pudding puree. At this point, you have the right to call me every name going, because anyone who makes a puree out of black pudding is a ****. I think I may have been under some unknown stress at the time. And yes, it was disgusting - imagine eating a prit stick.

:hihi::hihi:

Made me smile:)

Not quite the same as fresh scallops, but Iceland do a pack of frozen ones with garlic butter for about £3.

You get quite a few in the pack. When I got them I served them with roasted veg and new potatoes when a few friends came round for tea.

They'd never tried them before but really liked them :thumbsup:

As other people have mentioned, try not to over cook them else they taste a bit... chewy! :hihi:

I have not cooked them for years, I must try them soon.

This site gives loads of recipes

http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-013m5.html

I used to cook them Coquille St Jacques, or mornay.

I remember piping the mash potato onto hundreds of scallop shells for one particular summerball in the RAF probably about 1975.

My Mum made Coquille St Jacques on Xmas Eve for dinner, they were very tasty!