Advice needed re 1st York & Lancaster Regiment

Your dad will not qualify, I was in the 1956 invasion when Egypt nationalised the Canal. French and British troops landed at Port Said and the Yoirk and Lanc's were part of 3 Infantry Division.

Hi, thanks for this. Wasn't really looking for medal, although it would have been nice! Just wondered if anyone was a the barracks around the same time and new my Dad.

was in pontefract barracks in 1957 went to barnard castle.aden.kenya germany berlin.munster was in hq company on the regimental police, uk then got a posting from the regiment to bordon with the rasc

was in pontefract barracks in 1957 went to barnard castle.aden.kenya germany berlin.munster was in hq company on the regimental police, uk then got a posting from the regiment to bordon with the rasc

suez canal 1951-1953.my dad was in the york and lancs in 51-53.he was from sheffield and went to cattrick,then Khartoum,egypt,sudan.like to no if theres any others out there cud of been there with him. me dad died 10 year ago but me mums got photos of his mates.my uncle also from sheffield was in the royal signals 1951-1952.he was in egypt telekibir.after reading other post i told my uncle he could be allowed to receive his medal and my mum should recieve my dads.

Visited Pontefract barracks just once where we had a dinner after parading through the town in December 1968 shortly before the disbanding parade that took place in Sheffield on December the 14th 1968.

My service ended on 31st March 1969 the official cut off date for 1 Y&L.

I was on the regiments last overseas posting in Cyprus and one of the regiments last two bandsmen to attend the Royal Military Scholl of Music (Knellar Hall 1967-8).

Hi, thanks for this. Wasn't really looking for medal, although it would have been nice! Just wondered if anyone was a the barracks around the same time and new my Dad.

Hallo spencera, I was at pontefract barracks the same time as your dad i went in june 54, did my 12 weeks basic trainning then sent to Egypt to join the battalion. I was in the 201 intake, although it was the same year, it could have been a different intake? their was about 3-4 intake's a year. I do have a group photo of my intake taken at the end of the passing out parade.

Take care.

Not sure if this thread is still live, but i would be interested to hear if anyone served in this regiment from 1956 to 1958?

Not sure if this thread is still live, but i would be interested to hear if anyone served in this regiment from 1956 to 1958?

I served with the Y&Lregt from 54 to 57 did my training at Pontefract barracks then sent to Egypt to join the battalion then again for the Suez crisis.

A few years ago on a trip to the UK and consequently a side trip to Catterick Camp where I had spent time in 51/52, I found that the Signal Corp had moved (my N/S Regt) it seemed that the York and Lancs had some kind of Museum there and I found out from them that a medal was forthcoming for service in Egypt Suez Canal Zone which again I had accomplished in 52/53. Needless to say I applied and received it very quickly on sending them pertinent info. fleetwood