The new Doctor Who

Well I quite enjoyed it.

Just like LOTR or any pre-existing British institution it is gonna get a hammering from the geeks.

I hardly watch TV cos there is much crap on it, but I will be watching it next week.

Oh, that and Nathan Barley, that is soooo gooood :clap:

I thought it was good family entertainment. Remember, Doctor Who is supposed to be so bad it's good.

That's the whole point.

pretty bad imo. I'm not a doctor Who fan and this seemed so contrived to make it feel like the old ones.

I can't believe people didn't enjoy it. Picking at plot holes is like shooting fish in a barrel - it's Doctor Who, for goodness' sake! It's supposed to be ridiculous (and yet, strangely frightening, in a disconnected kind of way). It was a resounding success as far as I could see.

Russel T Davies, the writer, may or may not be grounded in the sort of turgid sci-fi (this is coming from an SF fan) that's aired on Sky One every hour of every day, but he is actually a Who nut, and knows how to write a funny - and, on the evidence, fairly dramatic - script.

The nods to the past, the humourous touches, the excellent action scenes, the fantastic casting: what's not to like for a cracking piece of Saturday night entertainment?

At least it's better than Casualty or Who wants to be a Millionaire etc that makes up the usual Saturday night "entertainment" (and I use the term VERY loosely).

Not impressed with his wooden dialogue with the 'nesting consciousness'

However, more than willing to watch two or three more to see how gells :)

I thought the new Doctor Who was brilliant. It is no good expecting it to follow the old format. New audiences wont like it. It was pacy, modern and that is what is needed.

The conspiracy theory nut may not be dead. We have not seen a body. Give it time. We have good actors and a good script.

It was nice to sit down on Saturday night and it felt like a good old Saturday night used to be. I have watched all the Whos from the beginning with Hartnell and I liked the new in a different way. We must not be too precious. Times change.

Just enjoy.

I heard today that christopher ecclestone has said that he will not be doing another series /??

Whats that all about then??

'Fraid so!

Mr E. is afraid of being typecast. I get the feel that he didn't expect the BBC to commission the second series so quickly - on Saturday's showing neither did I....:)

Joe

Originally posted by Greenback

I can't believe people didn't enjoy it. Picking at plot holes is like shooting fish in a barrel - it's Doctor Who, for goodness' sake! It's supposed to be ridiculous (and yet, strangely frightening, in a disconnected kind of way). It was a resounding success as far as I could see.

Russel T Davies, the writer, may or may not be grounded in the sort of turgid sci-fi (this is coming from an SF fan) that's aired on Sky One every hour of every day, but he is actually a Who nut, and knows how to write a funny - and, on the evidence, fairly dramatic - script.

The nods to the past, the humourous touches, the excellent action scenes, the fantastic casting: what's not to like for a cracking piece of Saturday night entertainment?

Of course we pick holes in the plot!

These guys are paid a large amount of money to write scripts - our money. For that we should be able to expect a script that is slightly superior to that expected by a 'fan fiction' writer.

Being knowing, self-referental and funny is no substitute for a story with some plot, rather than a series of scenes jammed together.

Grump over.

Joe

Heard on the news that Dr Who has resigned.

He will not make another series!

Yeah but the replacement looks like a doctor, unlike C.E. Shouldnt of casted him in the first place IMO