The new Doctor Who

Yes I agree but in a while I will end up in a padded room The pandorica was to imprison the Dr until the end of time so he couldn't have got out until the universe ended (and therefore he would not exist) and it was the Tardis keeping the Sun going so while it was therefore he could not get out to do his flitting back and forth

Banging head against wall now

It's a well-known example of the rampant lunacy that becomes possible once you allow time-travel.

You're locked in a cell which cannot be opened from the inside. You hear the door open from the outside and see - your own self, who has come back in time from the future in order to let you out of the cell. But how is it that your own self is out of the cell in the first place, in order to make that time-travel trip? Well, while you were in the cell, the door opened from the outside....

The way I had it explained to me was to draw a line representing the real flow of time, and mark it with a couple of useful points. (AD 130 - Doctor imprisoned; AD 130 ten minutes later - Doctor released; AD2010, Doctor goes back in time to give Rory the screwdriver.)

Then draw another line representing the Doctor's own lifespan. That line will progress up until the point where he's imprisoned. It will continue to the next point, where Rory released him. It then goes off to AD2010, and then it will go back to just before the point where Rory releases him, so that he can give Rory the screwdriver; then it will go forward to AD2010 ten again. The line representing the Doctor's lifespan is continuous; there are no logical impossibilities. It crosses over itself a few times, which - in the Doctor Who world - is dangerous and something he tries not to do; but at no point does it stop, or jump impossibly from one position to another.

As for the incredible difficulty of escaping from the Pandorica at all - that only applied to the being inside of it. It was easy to open from the outside.

It's a well-known example of the rampant lunacy that becomes possible once you allow time-travel.

You're locked in a cell which cannot be opened from the inside. You hear the door open from the outside and see - your own self, who has come back in time from the future in order to let you out of the cell. But how is it that your own self is out of the cell in the first place, in order to make that time-travel trip? Well, while you were in the cell, the door opened from the outside....

The way I had it explained to me was to draw a line representing the real flow of time, and mark it with a couple of useful points. (AD 130 - Doctor imprisoned; AD 130 ten minutes later - Doctor released; AD2010, Doctor goes back in time to give Rory the screwdriver.)

Then draw another line representing the Doctor's own lifespan. That line will progress up until the point where he's imprisoned. It will continue to the next point, where Rory released him. It then goes off to AD2010, and then it will go back to just before the point where Rory releases him, so that he can give Rory the screwdriver; then it will go forward to AD2010 ten again. The line representing the Doctor's lifespan is continuous; there are no logical impossibilities. It crosses over itself a few times, which - in the Doctor Who world - is dangerous and something he tries not to do; but at no point does it stop, or jump impossibly from one position to another.

As for the incredible difficulty of escaping from the Pandorica at all - that only applied to the being inside of it. It was easy to open from the outside.

Knock Knock the sound of the men in the white coats

I think I must just take it as a Dr. Who moment which I must admit spoils it for me as it is the first time in all 6 series I haven't understood

I think I must just take it as a Dr. Who moment which I must admit spoils it for me as it is the first time in all 6 series I haven't understood

;) it's just a programme. PB. ;)

If you draw the lines, it will look a lot simpler than trying to understand it from reading my involved explanation. Trust me. :cool:

So, am I really the only person who actually likes the redesigned "new paradigm" daleks?

So, am I really the only person who actually likes the redesigned "new paradigm" daleks?

I kind of like them. Remind me so much of the comic book strips from decades ago.

Just don't think they were introduced very well - the WWII episode was garbage!

I kind of like them. Remind me so much of the comic book strips from decades ago.

Just don't think they were introduced very well - the WWII episode was garbage!

It wasn't the best was it. Maybe Mark Gatiss should stick to The League of Gentlemen!

As for the first appearance of the new Daleks, having them all lined up like a rainbow did made them look a bit cheap and power ranger-esque but I can imagine a whole squadron of red Drones looking impressively menacing! ...and I think the white Supreme looks excellent by itself too. I bought a Drone action figure actually, looks good guarding my desk!

It wasn't the best was it. Maybe Mark Gatiss should stick to The League of Gentlemen!

As for the first appearance of the new Daleks, having them all lined up like a rainbow did made them look a bit cheap and power ranger-esque but I can imagine a whole squadron of red Drones looking impressively menacing! ...and I think the white Supreme looks excellent by itself too. I bought a Drone action figure actually, looks good guarding my desk!

I didn't mind the Dalek episode at all as it goes. I prefer it over the Silurian ones, which dropped the ball a little in the pacing department for me. But even then I don't especially dislike those episodes. Victory of the Daleks ought to have been the two-parter in this instance imho, as it had more ideas to cram in than the Silurian episodes seemed to.

I agree with you about how the Daleks were introduced though. There ought to have been swathes of red drones and the other Daleks behind them. As it was, a lot of people were left feeling a little unconvinced by the kind of Power Rangers line up that was presented in this episode. I did just look a little bit farty. Shame, because I do have to say I think they are very cool indeed. :) I love the new look. Reminds me of the 60's Daleks.

It felt to me that the episode was written by Gatiss with the intention for it to play during the Russel T Davies 'over-exuberant-showcasing' era, and so it felt so out of place for the new Moffat tone for the show.

Tom Baker for me, followed by Jon Pertwee. But I think it probably depends on your era. Today's kids would probably laugh at the cardboard sets and cobbled-together monsters from the 70s.

I love the new look. Reminds me of the 60's Daleks.

If you like the Daleks especially those 60's style ones have a look at this.

There's loads of different types. The author/artist appears to have included images from all over including TV, comics, games, sweets and lollies.

Edited by Steptoad