The new Doctor Who

Beaker, thank GOD someone finally said fezes instead of fez's...

/grammar Police message ends!

It's one of my bugbears too. I find myself grinding my teeth on many an occasion. Although, I meant to put two 'z' in there, but only just noticed that I didn't. However, apparently it can be spelt either way...so I'll leave it.

My spell checker is telling me fezes is wrong.

Wish I had the nads to wear a fez or two though.

My spell checker is telling me fezes is wrong.

Wish I had the nads to wear a fez or two though.

two fezes eh? It's a brave man that wears two fezes.

How cool was it that Matt Smith turned up to be part of Orbital's show including their take on the Dr Who theme at Glastonbury tonight?

Hi all Paul Blade here on PT's PC I have watched it 4 times now and 1 point is getting to me

Who let the Doctor out of the Pandorica.

I know it showed Rory letting him out, of the Pandorica, before putting Pond in there, but I want to know how he got out to get to Rory to let him out :huh:

Confused? You will be!!

Hi all Paul Blade here on PT's PC I have watched it 4 times now and 1 point is getting to me

I know it showed Rory letting him out, of the Pandorica, before putting Pond in there, but I want to know how he got out to get to Rory to let him out :huh:

Confused? You will be!!

Seconded. Ive watched it a couple of times over too, and dont understand this bit. How did the Doctor get out of the Pandorica, in order to get into the future to get Rory to let him out?

Confused? You will be!!

Exactly what I thought after I'd watched it :suspect:

Confused? You will be!!

He crafted a time paradox in order to escape. Basically he used the same method that Bill & Ted do in their films, whereby they decide that in order to get something they will remember to put it in place sometime after they have all finished (B&T used it do get a key to a jail cell, thus explaining why the key was missing in the first place earlier in the film).

Now, this is a cheat of time, and something which the Doctor has always opposed (meddling with own timelines can cause rifts in space time, etc etc etc). However, as space and time had already begun collapsing upon itself, then I guess he had no concerns about creating such paradoxial events, and so did it in order to ensure he could heal the universe.

He crafted a time paradox in order to escape. Basically he used the same method that Bill & Ted do in their films, whereby they decide that in order to get something they will remember to put it in place sometime after they have all finished (B&T used it do get a key to a jail cell, thus explaining why the key was missing in the first place earlier in the film).

Now, this is a cheat of time, and something which the Doctor has always opposed (meddling with own timelines can cause rifts in space time, etc etc etc). However, as space and time had already begun collapsing upon itself, then I guess he had no concerns about creating such paradoxial events, and so did it in order to ensure he could heal the universe.

Im still not getting it! Ive never seen Bill & Ted though, so maybe that's why?

Im still not getting it! Ive never seen Bill & Ted though, so maybe that's why?

Basically, you are in a situation where you cannot do something as you are either trapped, or do not have the time to fetch an item you need. However, you do know how to obtain a time travel device, or already have one. Therefore you say to yourself, "Once I get out of here, I will go back in time and make sure that the device I need is available, and the person who can help me has it."

All of a sudden the person you plan to get to help you with said device does just that. Now, you have created a paradox event - one that could not have happened without your manipulations of future (and past) events sometime ahead of you. In order for space/time to not collapse upon itself you need to now ensure that you do all the things required of you to 'plug the gaps' (find item, give it to the person so they can let you escape). This is what the Doctor did with all his quick jumps back and forth.

Whilst this still leaves the paradox that you could not have gotten out of the prison in order to get yourself out of the prison, you have, effectively, closed the loop in time, sealing the paradox in its own virtual bubble if you wish.

As mentioned such breaches of the time code are a big no-no for the Doctor, but he can justify the use of them all here as the universe (or multiverse) was already ruptured and required meddling in to heal it.

Hope that has made it clearer.

To clarify the Bill & Ted's example - early in the first film it is revealed that Ted's father, chief of police, has lost his keys. Later in the film (sometime after obtaining a time travel device and various historical figures) they need to break some of their figures out of jail (don't ask). To do so they need the key which is missing. It is at that point that they decide that once everything is over they will use the time machine to go back to before the key was missing, steal it, and place it under a plant pot for them to use now. Cue them picking up a plant pot and finding the key. (The second B&T film goes overboard with this manipulation towards the end).

Best thing to do is not worry too much about time paradoxes like this as they pop up everywhere (such as Terminator - if Kyle hadn't gone back to protect Sarah then she would never had conceived John in the first place, so where did John come from in the first place to send Kyle back to save Sarah in order for her to fall in love with him?). And don't get me started on Back to the Future or Donnie Darko :)

Basically, you are in a situation where you cannot do something as you are either trapped, or do not have the time to fetch an item you need. However, you do know how to obtain a time travel device, or already have one. Therefore you say to yourself, "Once I get out of here, I will go back in time and make sure that the device I need is available, and the person who can help me has it."

All of a sudden the person you plan to get to help you with said device does just that. Now, you have created a paradox event - one that could not have happened without your manipulations of future (and past) events sometime ahead of you. In order for space/time to not collapse upon itself you need to now ensure that you do all the things required of you to 'plug the gaps' (find item, give it to the person so they can let you escape). This is what the Doctor did with all his quick jumps back and forth.

Whilst this still leaves the paradox that you could not have gotten out of the prison in order to get yourself out of the prison, you have, effectively, closed the loop in time, sealing the paradox in its own virtual bubble if you wish.

As mentioned such breaches of the time code are a big no-no for the Doctor, but he can justify the use of them all here as the universe (or multiverse) was already ruptured and required meddling in to heal it.

Hope that has made it clearer.

To clarify the Bill & Ted's example - early in the first film it is revealed that Ted's father, chief of police, has lost his keys. Later in the film (sometime after obtaining a time travel device and various historical figures) they need to break some of their figures out of jail (don't ask). To do so they need the key which is missing. It is at that point that they decide that once everything is over they will use the time machine to go back to before the key was missing, steal it, and place it under a plant pot for them to use now. Cue them picking up a plant pot and finding the key. (The second B&T film goes overboard with this manipulation towards the end).

Best thing to do is not worry too much about time paradoxes like this as they pop up everywhere (such as Terminator - if Kyle hadn't gone back to protect Sarah then she would never had conceived John in the first place, so where did John come from in the first place to send Kyle back to save Sarah in order for her to fall in love with him?). And don't get me started on Back to the Future or Donnie Darko :)

Gotcha! cheers

Gotcha! cheers

Glad to have been of help :)

Have to admit, I am a tad geeky when it comes to time-travel films, and love to strip down the paradoxes and examine how carefully constructed they are. Sad? Yes...but insomnia does that to a person :/