The new Doctor Who

This week's episode was much much better than last week's and I quite enjoyed this one - largely because it had a more serious storyline. Curiously the Billie Piper character has grown on me since the start of the series, whereas Eccleston's Doctor has had the opposite effect and is getting gradually more irritating; it's like seeing Dr Who played by somebody out of the Happy Mondays or whatever (and before anyone starts a 'Bez to play Dr Who' thread, no. Just no, OK?).

Unfortunately the trailer for next week shows what we had all feared - the return of the dopey boyfriend character who got eaten by the wheelie bin in the first episode.

A question asked by my mum about last nights episode.

Why was Rose in period costume and he wasn't?

Anyone have an answer?

OK, Here is my tuppence about Doctor Who.

I was an avid watcher as a child (Tom Baker to Peter Davison only), but I'm not a 'Whovian" or "hoover" or whatever it is that we call committed adult Doctor Who fans. (But that's not to deride those that are - science fiction is great).

Anyway: I love the programme and it's part of my childhood - yadi yadi ya... I reckon that's the way it is with a majority of adults. So a lot of adult non fans have a strong view on the new series.

Personally I've been loving it. I can see how it is finely balancing being a great new series for kids, but also catering for us lot. Now that's not easy. And I think that there are patchy moments, but I'll tell you what did it for me...

Half way through 'The End Of The World', Jabe the tree put her hand on the Doctor's arm and, talking about a terrible war, opened up a universe yet to be discovered.

There's a story arc. There's a b***dy story arc!!!!!

In other words; yes we will be getting weekly adventures that come and go, but Russel T Davies (the sly dog) has built in a back story that will reveal itslef slowly through each episode, (each season perhaps).

Thank goodness an intelligent writer got control of this series. Like I said before, I was an avid watcher as a child, now 20 years on, I am again.

Why wasn't the doctor in period costume?

If I heard it correctly he thought he looked fine in his normal garb and wouldn't stand out.

Anyway getting back to the important stuff, I'm thoroughly enjoying the series and like the way this latest doctor has some attributes very like Patrrick Troughton. Still hate the Tardis interior and I don't think that'll ever change. When it finishes though I'm having to remember to rush away to make a coffee so I don't see the highlights of the next episode.

Argh, I missed this week's episode on Saturday, and then b*ggered up the video and taped Antiques Roadshow instead of the BBC 3 repeat!!!

Does anyone know if it's repeated again before next Saturday?

Or - has anyone got a tape of it I could borrow?!

Thanks, guys!

JfG xx

Originally posted by Mo

Dr Who OMG, it's dire. They have completely destroyed the whole thing. Shan't be watching anymore.

I guess opinions are what make the forum what it is - even if they're completely, utterly, mind-bendingly, wrong! :)

Well I don't think it's perfect, and I wouldn't call myself a Dr Who fan (I'd say I'm more a casual viewer) but I've enjoyed it so far.

Charles Dickens quote for Ep 3

"What in the Shakespeares going on"

Bl**dy genius

Just seen that doctor who is coming out on DVD on May 16th - Play.com have the first disc for 10.99 of your hard-earned pounds :

1. Rose

2. The End Of The World

3. The Unquiet Dead

:thumbsup:

It's official!

What do fellow fans think? My own feeling is that, although I think Chris Eccleston is doing a really good job, he was already a face that I knew and as such I found it hard to believe he was the doctor. I had the same problem with Peter Davison - I remember thinking - you're not a timelord - you're a vet!

So I think David Tennant is a good choice as he's obviously a good actor but not hugely well-known yet, and he kind of looks a bit unhinged . . .

Yay! Happy viewing tonight! And another huge thank you to Jon, who sent me ep 3 after a hideous disaster occurred with my video last week. WHAT A NICE MAN!!!

JfG x

I thought that Eddie Izzard would have been an excellent choice, Im not really sure about this other bloke that they have picked.

Susie

xx