The new Doctor Who

I dunno why people feel he's taking Tennant off. :confused: I guess they have similar accents in the role, but to me Smith comes off more Professor-ish as the Doctor. The only time I heard a bit of Tennant was in the first episode, and it seemed intentional to me. I don't think Tennant had anything like "menace" about him whatsoever. The problem with 10 (if there was a problem) was he was quite gurney and a bit love-me love-me. Always aware of having to be likeable. I don't think the Doctor should necessarily have to be like that. The nice thing about him was that even when the show was tripe he was still fun to watch. He was a great, great Doctor. I'm finding Smith fun to watch in the same way. He has a long way to go, but he's looking good for it imho. Give it time, not just for him but for you to adjust. :)

I think if you like Doctor Who as a show then you're fine, but if you only liked Tennant in the role, well that's that for you really. It reminds me of when Tom Baker left when I was a kid. I never thought anyone would play the part as well, but the show got even better*. Tom's still my Doctor though. :) Amazing to think the series made it to Eleven so far. I'd never have believed it if you'd told me when I was a kid. :D

*For a while....

I like the fact that some of the un-resolved questions from previous episodes are being answered but really want to know who taught River to operate the Tardis as she seemed to be saying it wasn't the doctor unless I misheard something, I'm going to watch it again to double check that point.

I lost all interest in watching the program when Tom Baker appeared I can still remember the appalling special effects with the giant robot. However since Christopher appeared followed by David I've been hooked again ant matt is growing on me slowly.

I watched it with a ten year old who laughed at the angels. What does that tell you?

That your ten year old is quite hard?

We recorded it and attempted to watch it later on Saturday evening, but my ten year old was practically hyperventilating when Amy Pond first noticed the angel on the recording had moved - seconds later, he made us turn it off.

We tried again on Sunday morning and he got through it this time - but came downstairs sobbing last night because he couldn't sleep thanks to those pesky angels; his mum had to go and lie down with him for a while till he nodded off.

I think it's fair to say, he's pretty scared of them. :D

So far, I am enjoying the new series, but, the big thing letting it down (and no one has mentioned this, yet) is the ANNOYINGLY loud music over the dialog.

I keep missing out on important sections of good vocal sections due to the never ending loud music that they insist on playing, why can't they tone it down and let the actors get their voice to the masses.

Matt Smith is shaping into a reasonable Doctor, not as good as Tennant, so far, but, we shall have to see.

I like the fact that some of the un-resolved questions from previous episodes are being answered but really want to know who taught River to operate the Tardis as she seemed to be saying it wasn't the doctor unless I misheard something, I'm going to watch it again to double check that point.

I lost all interest in watching the program when Tom Baker appeared I can still remember the appalling special effects with the giant robot. However since Christopher appeared followed by David I've been hooked again ant matt is growing on me slowly.

Those questions are going to be answered soon enough from what I can gather. I think River Song is likely to be around beyond this two parter, which is cool by me because I like the character and Alex Kingston. :)

As for good old Tom, remember the giant rat from Talons of Weng Chiang! Ooof, that was a low point in the SFX for Who! Still a great story though. I loved Tom dearly as the Doctor. I didn't want to watch Davison in his posh jumper for ages, but the stories were mostly strong during that time. I'm not completely au-fait with Who if I'm honest, as I was a fairly casual viewer as a kid, but since the reboot and especially with Matt coming in, I dunno, it's fired me up for it. :D

We recorded it and attempted to watch it later on Saturday evening, but my ten year old was practically hyperventilating when Amy Pond first noticed the angel on the recording had moved - seconds later, he made us turn it off.

We tried again on Sunday morning and he got through it this time - but came downstairs sobbing last night because he couldn't sleep thanks to those pesky angels; his mum had to go and lie down with him for a while till he nodded off.

Hehehe! I was reading some posts on another forum and this bloke said his ten year old watched the whole episode through his jumper over his head! My own kid, same age, just loved it. It only made her jump, not terrified, but she really enjoyed it. She always says Number 9 is her Doctor, but she's really taken to Matt Smith and Karen Gillen. Surprised me really, as it took her a while to get used to Tennant.

Bless! The ten year old wasn't mine by the way, i'm only 20! :hihi:

My 5 year old brother wouldn't watch the one with the clowns faces, we got about 2 minutes into that when he wanted it off. He also hated the one with Tennant in with the astronaughts in the library - he had nightmares for over a week about "the skeletons who say who turned out the lights" - That was written by the same chap too, wasn't it?

I'm not saying it wasn't good I just think it was a bit of an anti-climax. Still looking forward to the next one though :)

Well that was much more like it, really enjoyable episode which just flew by and didn't seem half as long as it was. Hope next weeks pay off is as good as the build up.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant... BUT;

Was Russell T Davies invited back to guest write the last 5 minutes?? I thought --and hoped-- that we had moved away from intergalactic blind date territory!

Loved this new Doctor Who so far but a crack has appeared! (and it's not the one from Amy Pond's bedroom!)

Great episode. Pity that Rory is in it next week :(

FYI, Karen Gillan is on Graham Norton show tonight (BBC1 @ 22:35), should be good :)

Yeah. Not so much this episode, but next week looks FANTASTIC!!

Great episode. Pity that Rory is in it next week :(

Why the need for the hanger-on boyfriend? Mickey was dull, pointless and boring and Rory takes after him.