The new Doctor Who

I liked the Tardis interior - and I'd agree that it had to start somewhere but the script wasn't up to it.

You can write a script to appeal to younger viewers whilst still making it a solid piece of work that flows and has structure, plot and not too many holes.

I've just realised that the reason I'm a little wound up about this script is that I actually care about Dr Who as a programme. The humour didn't work for me; it was too forced and didn't really flow from the situation. The line involving Heat magazine was pretty good, though! :)

The writers had about 45 minutes to play with - losing some of the humour, that dreadul Whovian, the 'Eastenders' set where Rose lived - would have probably given them about 5 to 10 minutes extra to use to get the plot tightened up.

Joe

You only liked the inside of the tardis because it reminds you of Moya (sp) Joe :hihi:

Originally posted by vidster

You only liked the inside of the tardis because it reminds you of Moya (sp) Joe :hihi:

Yes! I was trying to think what the tardis reminded me of! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by vidster

Good point!

To me the Tardis should be brass and Victorian inside. Lots of chunky analogue dials and brass fittings - sort of like George Pal's 'Time Machine' (the 1950s version, not the recent abomination). Sort of retro.... :)

The 'Millenium' Dr Who Tardis was excellent!

Joe

Good grief, yes, what has he done to the Tardis interior? Walls are for running cables behind, not for draping over. And where's the airlock gone?!?

At least there's some seats in the control room now. I couldn't imagine having to stand up for the whole journey - done that too many times on GNER ;)

Best bits:

Flicking through Heat magazine - "that won't work, she's gay and he's an alien"

- the Auton arm fighting the Doctor in the background with Rose oblivious.

- "it's a disguise - it's a 1950s call box" - didn't he sound a bit like Johnny from Two Pints there?

Definitely better than the movie. Worth giving it a few more episodes.

Guest Ant

Oh, and Billie Piper's boyfriend? What a twonk. I hope that he's not going to make regular appearances - her mother was irritating as well. Why replace the screaming girlie sidekicks only to drop in an equally annoying boy? Unless it was a last minute memo from the Beeb's board requesting a token black? Whatever the reason, he should have been melted by the Liquid Plastic people.

(And someone should lose their job for screwing things up with Graham Norton's whining voice making three appearances).

What happened to the ending? I'm used to cliff hangers where you wonder what's going to happen next. The restaurant at the end of the universe? Seems familiar.

Otherwise not a bad start.

Originally posted by Ant

(And someone should lose their job for screwing things up with Graham Norton's whining voice making three appearances).

Thank you.

I knew I wasn't imagining it.

Got to say that the wheelie bin CGI was well done, if a little tacky.

I thought it was my DVD recorder screwing up at first. I was all for binning a perfectly good DVD/RW until i read this thread again :thumbsup:

OK. So it's not strictly dedicated to Sheffield but I guess alot of people in the city saw the first episode of the new Doctor Who series. I did myself but was not overly impressed. I wonder what other people thought. Its on at a strange time as well, beyond the traditional 'children's hour' and before the majority of grown ups would sit down to watch.

Now, if I were the doctor, I would get the lottery results on a Saturday night, turn the TARDIS back to 7.15pm go into a lottery outlet and put those numbers on, then retire.