The new Doctor Who

Is anyone going to be watching the new series of Doctor Who which starts at 7 PM on BBC1 this Saturday?

I probably will, having grown up with 4 out of 7 of the original Doctors, namely Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy... You could argue that the list includes Paul McGann but IMO he doesn't count as a Doctor as he wasn't in the original series and only played the Doc once in the 1995 TV movie.

I only liked John Petwee and Tom Baker, all the others were rubbish.

I'll be watching it though.

Sylvester McCoy era had Sophie Aldred as Ace though, I used to, and still do fancy her loads, she looked HOT in black.

Sure I will be watching it, I used to like it a lot, but I'm not sure what to expect this time round...

I expect to be let down with my Dr Who expectations. However, I think Mr Eccleston and Miss Piper (or is that Mrs Evans) are excellent actors with presence and with a half-decent script there should be something good to watch.

I feel sorry for the pubs that night as I think there will be a lot of people staying in to watch this first episode and I'll be one of them. The trailers that have been shown make it look as though the wobbly scenery and the awful special effects are going to be a thing of the past which can only be good.

I still say that the program took a nose dive with the appearance of Tom Baker and the clowns that folowed him so I just hope this new series will be as dark and scary as William Hartnell was when the program first appeared.

S P O I L E R A L E R T !!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you have ever seen the episode of classic who in which the Nestines feature, you should know what to expect (For your information, I am on about the Shop Dummies episodes), for that is what the first episode is about, Christopher Eccleston is pretty good as the Dr, although, I would need to see some more episodes to see if he is any good in the role.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler over

If you REALLY like Dr Who, they are doing a load of Dr Who stuff all day long on UK Gold until 7pm which is when the new dr who is on, then on BBC3 they are doing a Dr Who revealed thing.

After watching the first episode I think they've done a fantastic job of bring the Doctor back to our screens. It's scary, funny, well-scripted and well-acted.

(It's also all over the net if you can't wait).

I think that the pubs will continue to be empty till around about 8pm ;)

but let's see what happens :)

SoI've watched it now and found it quite entertaining. however, I do have some reservations, but won't mention them until tomorrow after it's been shown on TV. wouldn't want to ruin it for anybody. ;)

Well,

I've seen it and have to say that my hopes and fears were both met!

The effects were good, Christopher Ecclestone suitably eccentric. Billie Piper was OK.

But the script - oh Lord. It struck me as being rather patchy and rushed. Would have been better spreading it over two weeks, rather than one. Or do a two hour series starter a la Star Trek. There was also an element of 'knowing' about the script that didn't fit that well, but I'm willing to apply my Rule of Serial TV and allow another episode or two to see whether it grips me.

There were some parts of the script that just didn't work - the 'UFO Nut' character was a waste of script space. Didn't progress the story or the lead characters. Rose taking her mum's phone call whilst in the Nestene 'base'? Please! That's ridiculous. If the script can be 'pulled in' a bit and written to be less self concious I reckon it'll work.

But we wait and see.

Joe

Guest Ant
the 'UFO Nut' character was a waste of script space.

I had the impression this guy was a nod towards the hardcore Dr Who fans (Whovians? Can't quite remember what they call themselves). I don't know why, but I had the impression that he was meant to represent them.

I think it was a pretty good start. Slightly too much humour, possibly, but generally it looks very promising. Not quite sure about the concept of the stretchy skin lady (is it right she's meant to have had too many face lifts? Sounds a bit naff to me), but we'd see.

I don't think Billie Piper is heading for Hollywood as the writer claims - her bum is too big and she has a touch of the Jade Goodies about her. Not Hollywood fodder at all.