A frugal christmas

I spend about £10,000 at christmas, its a very expensive affair to be honest

Are you kidding? :o

Then you must have recieved the benefits you were asking about earlier :D

Well, I've bought my little lads xmas prezzies already, they're gonna be wrapped over the next few weeks & if I see little stocking fillers then I will buy them for him & also my friends kids, I never have gone OTT, my son gets around £200 spent on him, but that usually includes some clothes & PJ's, books, creative stuff & he is an only child so it's not that bad.

My parents when I ask them if there is anything specific they would like, just look at me as though I've got 6 heads & tell me if they want something they'll get it for themselves (in a nice way of course) & tell me to spend the money on my son instead!!

My hubbies side however, seem to spend stoooooopid amounts (ok granted there is only my M.I.L & D.I.L but......) last year I went mental when I found out he'd spent £500 on his parents & on some things that they sitll have never used!!!! my mum & dad had less than £75 between them on stuff that they get lots of use out of!

My son & I over the next few weeks are going to start making xmas decorations for the ceiling & not to mention out annual Calenders that everyone (our friends & family members) seems to get, because I think that a present that may have only cost £2 to make, usually means a lot, especially when a lot of time & effort has been given by my son & I into making it!

I won't be spending as much money this year as I have in the past, but that is more on deciding just to spend less on people as people get older, rather than money problems.

Just spent the evening making my florentines to that recipe, Dozy, and, although they don't quite resemble those on sale in Waitrose, they are rather scrummy and I've had to make an extra batch to replace those I've scoffed during the manufacturing process. So, thank you again, Dozy, for the suggestion.

Tip: when making chocolate florentines, you may find that your concentration slips if you are also imbibing several glasses of rioja and listening to Champion Jack Dupree's Blue Horizon sessions.

Just spent the evening making my florentines to that recipe, Dozy, and, although they don't quite resemble those on sale in Waitrose, they are rather scrummy and I've had to make an extra batch to replace those I've scoffed during the manufacturing process. So, thank you again, Dozy, for the suggestion.

Tip: when making chocolate florentines, you may find that your concentration slips if you are also imbibing several glasses of rioja and listening to Champion Jack Dupree's Blue Horizon sessions.

That link now leads to a 404 error page :( .

Actually, can I just cut out the messy, difficult bit and get you to send me some of your freshly-made ones? :D

Kidding. I have chocolate here already sufficient to send me up at least three dress sizes come new year's day :hihi: .

That link now leads to a 404 error page :( .

Actually, can I just cut out the messy, difficult bit and get you to send me some of your freshly-made ones? :D

Kidding. I have chocolate here already sufficient to send me up at least three dress sizes come new year's day :hihi: .

I'll look forward to the new, curvy, size 14 Hec :P

This Christmas won't be as frugal as previous years as I started a new job in September:D.

But having been amongst the heaving throng of people desperate to buy, buy, buy I must say that I've been turned off by the obvious, overt consumerism out there.:( And I'm working at introducing a more spiritual Christmas at our house.

That's not to say the kids won't get their pressies, I'm just focussing on the non material aspects of Christmas.:thumbsup:

This Christmas won't be as frugal as previous years as I started a new job in September:D.

But having been amongst the heaving throng of people desperate to buy, buy, buy I must say that I've been turned off by the obvious, overt consumerism out there.:( And I'm working at introducing a more spiritual Christmas at our house.

That's not to say the kids won't get their pressies, I'm just focussing on the non material aspects of Christmas.:thumbsup:

I know what yopu mean (not about the kids having a spiritual Christmas as I don't have any!). The Credit Crunch and downturn in the economy just seems to have heightened consumerism at this time of year when youwould have thought it should have made people think more about what the point of it all is!

I should add that I don't necessarily mean the religious aspects of Christmas as I feel that the celebration has now transcended the pagan and Christian festivals. However I agree that these aspects should not be forgotten, and for me Christmas is about celebrating the people who are special (and a great excuse to eat cheese!! :D)

Aside from that, I'm still frantically knitting christmas presents....

My little boy is two and doesn't understand Christmas yet and I'm in no hurry to encourage it! He has become rather fascinated by Christmas trees though so in Sainsbury's yesterday I bought him a mini one, reduced to £5, baubles included! He's spent the last 24 hours proudly carrying it around the house :hihi: I doubt we'll ever get a cheaper Christmas!