Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

Anybody else remember Crazy Daisy?

I went to 'The Daizy' from1975 to 1979 (also Josaphines). I went Wednesday nights for the Roxy Nights (dressed 40's style), Friday and Saturday night plus Saturday lunchtime - Sidewalk cafe after. Loved it there. There should be a Reunion like Josephine's is doing. Great memories of doing The Roxy Dance plus watching Stuart and Steve dancing to Northern Soul. Having a chip butty from the hatch. Great DJ was Spider who played on Roxy Nights. I remember a fight where a bouncer bit off part of someone's ear!!! Drinking one Barley wine with blackcurrent and being drunk!! I had my bag stolen from the dance floor ( only a few pence in purse) in 1979 with my passport in it! I was due to fly Freddie Laker to California 2 days later! It was on front page of the Star. It was found the next behind the towel rail in ladies toilets. Passport still in my bag! Great days.

Edited by Brendy
Spelling errors

can anyone remember the cavendish nightclub ?

It opened in may 1967.

I was only sixteen at the time so it had changed to baileys

nightclub before i got in the place in the early 70's.

By then the fiesta nightclub was pulling in the big names.

Can anyone recall the artists who appeared at the cavendish

in it's early days ?

I think dusty springfield was the first artist to appear there.

went to the cavendish cub every saturday night from when it opened till it became baileys turns used to be on in the latino lounge first then later in the cavendish room here are a few just off the top ov my head four tops,little & large,the grumble weeds,

lulu,the ivy benson show band, showwady wady & matt monroe

thanks bob:)

Steelys New Years eve 31/12/79.I remember the advance tickets were 4 pounds.(was that expensive, I can't decide).Taxi to handsworth to drop newish girlfriend off and then walk home to Millhouses ..quite a trek but I had 18 year old legs!!

Tulisa's mum used to go in the Crazy Daizy dressed 40's style for Roxy Nights. She was in a girl band wearing an American army uniform and singing Andress Sisters songs.

I can remember the Cavendish Club it was a great night out. There were some great acts there. I can remember seeing Les Dawson, Little and Large The Ivy Benson Show Band to name only a few. Most of them were in the Latino Lounge. There was also another room at the back where you could dance to disco music. It seemed a really special place to go back in the "good old days"lol.

Was a student at the poly in the early 70's. Memory failing a bit now, but remember student nights at penthouse, I think Thursdays and genny's tuesdays. Used to go to mucky duck Friday lunch for go go dancers including the incredible mighty Melvin. Won a bottle of champagne at crazy daisy for being first to give DJ a pair of pants. Bier Keller was still open and nelson had a downstairs room with paintings on the wall of Bowie, Jagger etc. Wonder if they are still there behind the cladding. Those were the days my friends.

hi I'm 64 and frequented them all may times, the fiesta was my favourite I went there every week not always to see the top of the bill but just for a drink I saw o many acts there I forget most of the 3 of the best were tommy cooper, warren Michel, the 4 tops, an many many more I was in there one nght jut having a drink and sat next to me at the bar was Kenny roger's and we ha a couple of pints together. at the cavendish I saw bob monkhouse the bluest comedian I ever heard. I ued to go to the top rank, penthouse tiffany's the lacarno every club and a couple of blues club great days back then oh I forgot the batley club xx

Yes went to the Fiesta club as well to see Tommy Cooper.Thought it was the bees knees when we had scampi and chips in a basket.

Did anyone go to the Heartbeat.It was upstairs and at the side of the bowling alley on Queens road?

Was a student at the poly in the early 70's. Memory failing a bit now, but remember student nights at penthouse, I think Thursdays and genny's tuesdays. Used to go to mucky duck Friday lunch for go go dancers including the incredible mighty Melvin. Won a bottle of champagne at crazy daisy for being first to give DJ a pair of pants. Bier Keller was still open and nelson had a downstairs room with paintings on the wall of Bowie, Jagger etc. Wonder if they are still there behind the cladding. Those were the days my friends.

Ah mighty melvin, used to drive Him around to his gigs now and then, bit of a minder if you like. Never got any trouble from the men but the women used to go mental.

Ah mighty melvin, used to drive Him around to his gigs now and then, bit of a minder if you like. Never got any trouble from the men but the women used to go mental.

Went to landlady's birthday party at Durham Ox. Melvin was there in a cape with a jif lemon in his pants, squirting everybody. The landlady's cake had a female sexual organ on it made out of icing. I was scarred for life.

there was that nightclub, next door to what is now Berlins (formerly the Hoffenbrau Bier Keller/ "Dingwalls' Rythm and Booze") which is now called the Club Uropa, I forget its name, back when.... can anyone enighten me?

P T, that was called the Penny Farthing later to be changed to Scamps, we used to drink there after filling up in the Hofbrau......funny but it always seemed to be full of the local footballers at that time, even on a friday night prematch but it never seemed to affect em on a Saturday, or perhaps they would have been even better without 8 pints swilling round inside of em.

It was a private membership club when it first opened as Penny farthing ,I was a founder member.Joe Cocker used to come in after he'd done a gig and would sing Foggy foggy dewbest club ever.anyone remember Press Club, just off Division street?

---------- Post added 11-01-2015 at 19:41 ----------

We used to go to the Fiesta a lot in the 70's, remember seeing Martin St. James, the hypnotist, Lulu, & Jim Davidson. The lights on the tables used to blink on & off to the music, we had chicken in a basket, then went for a dance in the disco, what a great night out, shame it closed down.

My 3 daughters worked there,Abbie andLise,when Norma Collier was on there, they said he used to come in round lunchtime with his invisible dog and had everyone in stitches

Heartbeat used to have a 14-18 years old Disco on a Sunday Afternoon. Probably around 1968 or 1970.

I was about in the 70s

When Josephines first opened there was a Guy in the Toilets who sold after shave and he could cut your hair.......why? I never really knew.

Crazy Daisy was formerly a BierKeller (Lowenbrau Haus) and there was another (Hofbrau Haus) on Eyre Street (behind the Moor)

I remember being stopped going into the Top Rank because I was under 18. It was my 18th Birthday and we had been going for years. When I told them I was informed that the minimum age was 21.

The Buccaneer on Leopold St was one of the places to be seen. Not a night club but opened late........plastic glasses awful.

Baileys used to have a regular "turn" Dickie and Dottie who were strippers but comedy strippers, or so Im told I never really saw them. Also Ronnie Duke and Ricky Lee were regulars, never saw them either. I can remember the adverts.

Saw some big names at the Fiesta though. For some reason we regularly got free tickets that included "Chicken in a Basket" meal. Freddie Starr and Bernard Manning were regulars.

Tiffanys used to have really violent Bouncers who used to smash people against the Lampost outside the front door. I think there was a bit of a battle one night and they were prosecuted.....I think