Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

didn't do the Tivoli bar but went in the other two

Am I mistaken or was there a female DJ at the Locarno in the 60s/70s called Tamala Pamala.

I can add Bob Monkhouse I was also there opening night courtesy of free tickets provided by the girls brought in as hostesses and waitresses who lived in the flat below me in Totley. Heaven apart rfom the fact that every night they came home after 2am. in full party mode, and didn't go to sleep until 4am

I wasn't there when he appeared but a few friends were, they said he was so filthy they and a lot of the audience walked out.

I wasn't there when he appeared but a few friends were, they said he was so filthy they and a lot of the audience walked out.

I hated Bob Monkhouse when he hosted game shows, on the telly, I found him smarmy, a bit reptilian.

One night I saw him at Doncaster Dome. Warm, friendly, smutty, brilliant, the best live comedian I ever saw.

In the eighties the Mighty Atom was DJ at Josephines who sponsored the basket ball team I played for.

Anyway, I used to dread pre season when I would be asked to pose for the Star photographer with this little guy as he presented me with the sponsorship cheque. I am 6 feet 6 inches tall.

Cannot remember his name but he drove a white E-type with wooden riser blocks on the pedals.

His name was Chris Crossley and drove a white xj6 with blocks on the pedals. Did some work on it for him and tried to drive it. He is still about and was on come dine with me a couple of years ago, what a laugh!! I think he drinks in the porterbrook tavern, must look him up sometime.

I remember the cavendish and fiesta, the pent house top rank, the lacarno, at the cavendich / baileys. I saw bob monkhouse dusty all the great cabaret acts of that era. at the fiesta, I saw clougha Rodgers, tommy cooper warren Mitchel, dave allen, a guy called lovelace Watkins that was recorded by a tv company. he was never seen again, Kenny Rodgers, and many more, I got to know the doormen and I got free tickets for everyone who appeared there sorry about spelling mistakes but the dictionary on this laptop's not working x. me and my mate who worked nights at firth brown as an electrician, would ring me up and asked me if I fancied going out being a lad in my twenties I said OK, I would go pick him up from work all suited and booted as he kept a change of clothes there, so off wee'd go into town happy days were the 60s

Where was New Faces? I can't remember that one,

I can remember Genevieves, in Charter Square, and Mona Lisas, which was next door

there was that nightclub, next door to what is now Berlins (formerly the Hoffenbrau Bier Keller/ "Dingwalls' Rythm and Booze") which is now called the Club Uropa, I forget its name, back when.... can anyone enighten me?

the Limit, the "Crazy Daizy", Sinatra's.....

and as for the "Poxy Roxy" (shudders!) ugh, what a hole that was, especially on a thursday, which was "Grab a Granny Night" sorry, I meant "over 25's night"...

I was not keen on "dollars", and I detested Josephines, in Barkers pool (for reasons of my own)

I used to "do" nights out at Christies, (at hillsborough football ground), and the Executive suite, at Sheffield United's ground.

I remember the nightclub above the Silver-Blades Ice Rink, but I remember it as "Stars" (I cannot remember what it is called now..)

I also remember the "14-18 yr old's" nights, on a monday night, (IIRC) at Tiffany's, as it was known then, and the gang of we schoolfriends all walking back home along London Road/ Abbeydale Road late at night, barefoot, wondering whether we'd manage to get up for school the next morning!

Ahh, memories!!

PT

i worked in Sinatras used to love Sat nights in the Limit

---------- Post added 14-01-2014 at 21:56 ----------

Hi. Did he live in Ecclesfield at all?

I remember a bouncer back in the 70s known to everyone as "dummy" = i worked in the clubs back then and he was one of the best doormen around but never actually knew his real name = it was used as an affectionate term I know that sounds wrong now but thats just how everyone knew him and he knew that also.

i worked in Sinatras used to love Sat nights in the Limit

---------- Post added 14-01-2014 at 21:56 ----------

I remember a bouncer back in the 70s known to everyone as "dummy" = i worked in the clubs back then and he was one of the best doormen around but never actually knew his real name = it was used as an affectionate term I know that sounds wrong now but thats just how everyone knew him and he knew that also.

Are you referring to Alan Kilby the wrestler, cum doorman/bouncer, he was a top bloke not seen him for long time.

can anyone remember the merry england night club under the black swan on snig hill.

Edited by emdean

i never missed a weekend there i think the DJ was called frank.