Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

anyone remember the morris naylor band.

Morris was the resident band at the Top Rank - I remember it and them well. I worked there for a while then moved on to the Fiesta. Sunday night was strict tempo night (ballroom dancing in other words!)

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 16:24 ----------

I remember going to Locarno on a Saturday morning and to the Top Rank Suite on a Tuesday evening. Going to the Top Rank Suite was the highlight of my week. I would have been about 14 when I used to go and felt really grown up as I was allowed to catch the last bus home at quarter to 11. :)

Just seen your post and I too remember going to the Locarno on Saturday morning. And yes - we really did feel all grown up. Happy days.

i worked in the steelworks back in the 70s,used to get payed friday,out on the ale friday night up early saterday morning get the bus from sheffield to rotherham to buy the platform boots the higher the better,you had to get there early to get the best ones,sat dinner meet the mates in the albert then get ready for the session up town always ended up in the rank great days.

Morris was the resident band at the Top Rank - I remember it and them well. I worked there for a while then moved on to the Fiesta. Sunday night was strict tempo night (ballroom dancing in other words!)

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 16:24 ----------

Just seen your post and I too remember going to the Locarno on Saturday morning. And yes - we really did feel all grown up. Happy days.

Were you at the rank when Howard was the singer? My husband was a bouncer there (John).

Were you at the rank when Howard was the singer? My husband was a bouncer there (John).

Yes I was. At the time, Howard's girlfriend was called Cheryl. I knew his mum and dad well, they were lovely people. I was 'courting' a band member. There were a few John's as I recall who were bouncers. My cousin was also a bouncer, (Bob). Ring any bells?

Way back in the 1960's when the Cavendish on Bank Street was on the go, they use to have go-go dancers in cages.

The Locarno use to have teeny bopper sessions on Saturday mornings in the 60's, last time I went there was in 1966 when England won the world cup - everyone passing through the doors received a gold coloured charm of the world encased in an horse shoe.

Can anyone remember the Cavendish Nightclub ?

It opened in May 1967.

I was only sixteen at the time so it had changed to Baileys

Nightclub before I got in the place in the early 70's.

By then the Fiesta Nightclub was pulling in the big names.

Can anyone recall the artists who appeared at The Cavendish

in it's early days ?

I think Dusty Springfield was the first artist to appear there.

Kathy Kirby was the first to appear at the Cavendish Club

Kathy Kirby was the first to appear at the Cavendish Club

Now

!

Way back in the 1960's when the Cavendish on Bank Street was on the go, they use to have go-go dancers in cages.

The Locarno use to have teeny bopper sessions on Saturday mornings in the 60's, last time I went there was in 1966 when England won the world cup - everyone passing through the doors received a gold coloured charm of the world encased in an horse shoe.

How I loved those Saturday mornings........... finally felt too grown up to go to the pictures and progressed to dancing instead! Seems like everyone today just wants to play blinking bingo (ha!ha!)

i was the resident dj at samanthas for 6 years. my name was and still is Ian Irish Ireland, now living and working in Tenerife. pleased that people still remember a truly remarkable club and time in Sheffield History...
Did you have a sister called Pat?

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 21:49 ----------

My mum worked at the Fiesta for years and got all the tickets for the acts. I remember wanting to go see Gene Pitney with her, i was only about 7 !

One group i do remember going to see a few years on, well the only one i was allowed to see was a group named 'Child'.

Any member remember them ?

Yeh,Mike Holloway on drums,the Atack brothers(twins?) and another bloke.

I used to work at the Fiesta in 1971

loved every minute of it

anyone else thare at the same time

Remember "Linda Go Go" waitress

Just come across your post. I was on reception at Fiesta in '71. There were lots of 'Linda's' including me so I was called Lulu. Do you remember me?

I remember all the Sheffield night clubs in the early 1970s. I am an ex Det Sgt and part of our duties was to visit the clubs to see if everything was ok remember the Three Degrees visiting the Fiesta and someone sneaking into their dressing room and stealing Shiela Fergusons purse containing

quite a sum of money.. lovely people to chat to unfortunately no arrest was made, What a pity we have nothing in Sheffield like those club at the present time.