Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

Hey there strix........Mik here now living down south.......well South of Sheff anyway. I had many a good night in rebels after a good workout in the gym above the mucky duck near the hole in the road......forget the gym name now but hey.......rebels rocked my world !! Thanks for reminding me of one top place........none of the girly pop or new romantics stuff in Rebels just down to earth good music and great people (most of the time lol)!!

Cheers, Mik.

Originally posted by steevie/d

does any 1 rember turn ups in town spent mant a happy nite in there lol!!

somebody i went to school with got stabbed to death in there,i think thats why it closed

i was a limit man..lived on townhead st for years,girl in flat above worked behind bar in limit.(cheap nights)...the rat trap on fridays at kikis...occasions sat...charlie parkers on sunday for the free chilli...went to the sin bin once(once)...turn ups...early rave partys,the wicker,everyone centre..top nights..

i used to like the underground (now charles street) it was done out like a london tube station,it was in the days of the jam,secret affair etc and the tunes were spot on.

Originally posted by kirky

i used to like the underground (now charles street) it was done out like a london tube station,it was in the days of the jam,secret affair etc and the tunes were spot on.

Actually the UNDERGROUND bar opened in late 1983 and closed around 1986. The days of Jam and Secret Affair and the 'mod' scene revival were really 78-80/81.

Great bar, very very popular at weekends, most of the rock crowd went there in a drinking triangle with the Wapentake and YOrkshireman Arms 'rock bars'. Ah, good times. The Underground was also apparently the first pub in Sheffield to have a video juke box which arrived in 1984 and was quite revolutionary.

This may be out of date - but I spent my drunken 21st under the waving palms at Tiffanys in 1969 (and despite my age & drunkenness, I remember it!). I'm pretty sure it got that name the year before, in '68.

I found the site when searching for the Fiesta and Four Tops, who did a fantastic performance at the Fiesta in 197?, just a one or two night thing when the Stylistics were the bill-toppers for the week. I saw them again here in the US at the NC State Fair last night and was wondering how long since I last saw them. Any memories of when the Sheffield show was?

Originally posted by kirky

isabella's has also been known as scamps and penny's

It was pennys when i first started clubbin in the early 80's, and I seem to think that Martin Fry (ABC) used to be seen in there.

Romeo's was my other regular haunt at that time, with the occasional sojourn to josephines, the limit, stars (usually for somebodys birthday party, in fact I had my 18th party there), and later the leadmill

I seem to remember Josephine's was a rather upmarket place with in it's early days a very strict dress code, guys could be turned away for not having highly polished shoes. That was in the days when one of their bouncers was a large lad who was dumb, he later went on to become a professional wrestler in the days of Big Daddy and Mick McManus.

As the years passed the dress code lapsed till they'd let in yokels in those dreadful hawaian floral short sleeved shirts.... YUK and YUK again.

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

I seem to remember Josephine's was a rather upmarket place with in it's early days a very strict dress code, guys could be turned away for not having highly polished shoes. That was in the days when one of their bouncers was a large lad who was dumb, he later went on to become a professional wrestler in the days of Big Daddy and Mick McManus.

As the years passed the dress code lapsed till they'd let in yokels in those dreadful hawaian floral short sleeved shirts.... YUK and YUK again.

Wallbuilder, that bouncer was my family-friend Alan Kilby, who is indeed profoundly deaf, but in no way shape or form could he be described as Dumb.

I'd like to gently point out that:-

He may not have full use of his speech, but "Dumb" (or "deaf-and-dumb") is an unnaceptable description, as it has connotations of being "thick" or "stupid" and believe me, he, like many people with hearing impairments, is not "thick", nor is he "stupid".

He has similar levels of speech to other people who have comparative levels of hearing impairment.

Describing him as "dumb" is in a similarly unnaceptable vein to describing me as a "crip", when I am actually a "Wheelchair-user". He is "deaf", or , alternatively, the other acceptable description is "hearing-impaired".

I was schoolmates with his son, Adam, and his daughter, Tracey, who are also deaf.

Alan and Adam Kilby formed a Father-And-Son wrestling team, and had moderate success.

PT

Has no one mentioned Scamps?

It was my favourite nightclub, where I danced away on a Friday evening.

It was a magical atmosphere, and yes there was not much trouble in those days.

people sometimes got a bit angry if you danced with someones boyfriend( unknowingly ) and maybe there were drugs if you wanted to seek them out, but compared to the binge drinking, drunken behavior that people have descended in to these days, those really were the days.

The music was inspirational and the people were the same each week.Friends and relationships were made and probably still some of them are together today.

I met my husband at Romeos and Juliets but Scamps was my favourite nightclub.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

The Underground was also apparently the first pub in Sheffield to have a video juke box which arrived in 1984 and was quite revolutionary.

Not so!!

The Hermitage, bottom of Moor/London Road, had a video/tape juke box in 1968.

VERY revolutionary then.

Hi PlainTalker,

First of all my apoligies to any physically challenged person out there though as I am one myself I don't find it in the least offensive if someone isn't aware of the correct terminology to describe my disability.

I used the word 'dumb' to describe someone who can't talk, maybe because as I grew up deaf and dumb were acceptable. It is unfortunate that thick morons can be described as dumb but Alan certainly wasn't thick or a moron. In my defense though I never heard him utter a syllable which added to his presense and I'm sure in the ring as a wrestler he was equally silent.

Have you ever noticed that when someone meets a wheel chair user they tend to direct their comments to the person pushing the chair, now that's annoying.