Sign in to follow this  

Do we need permission for interior redevelopement

At the moment, we live in a 1 bedroomed cottage. Our bathroom is the same size as the bedroom. Yes, it's a big bathroom. So, we are wanting to change the bathroom into a 2nd bedroom. The new bathroom will be built within the master bedroom.

Does anyone know whether we need planning permission to alter the interior of the house. And if so, how much would the process cost.

No you don't , it's a straightforward project unless your removing load bearing walls.I can recommend someone to to the job if your not wanting to do it yourself.

No you don't , it's a straightforward project unless your removing load bearing walls.I can recommend someone to to the job if your not wanting to do it yourself.

thanks. we have a man for the job. it's just that we were told that in order to do it, we need to declare the job, and get permission with a building standards form and pay charges which could be about £700.

Got to be honest i have never heard of that, who told you this.

"Do I have to pay anything when I make a Building Regulation Application?

Yes, there are normally two payments to be made. On submission of your application you pay a plan charge, then, once the work has commenced you will be invoiced for an inspection charge. More information is available on the guidance notes on Charges for Building Regulations Applications."

This is a quote from the sheffield city council about building regulations.

When do I need to make an Application for Building Regulations Approval?

You must make an application in the following instances:

* When you erect a building, eg a new dwelling.

* When you make structural alterations to a building, eg remove a load-bearing wall.

* When you extend an existing building, eg build on a kitchen.

* When you install fittings or services in connection with a building, eg install a central heating system.

* When you make a material change of use to a building, eg convert a house to flats.

* When you install replacement windows (If you do not use a Fensa registered company).

* When you rewire or modify electrical installations to an existing dwelling (If you have not used a member of a Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme)

Would you think this also includes changing a bathroom into a bedroom, and building a small toilet/showerroom into the existing bedroom.