Wagon Wheels - Have they shrunk?

You've missed the most important thing that Wagon Wheels are now chocolate flavour :shock:

Originally posted by "Sidla"

No, I meant the size of my hand now. Where is this proof? I know it's alot smaller. Just the same as Walkers crisps only fill half the bag as a pose to a full bag back in the day.

Walkers actually have more crisps nowadays. There used to be only 30g but now there's 34.5g. I remember when they used to be 20p though, you'd struggle to find them for less than 30p now.

Has that not got something to do with the fact that there are more crisps in them now, and inflation!! :D Things don't stay the same price forever!

Companies have either got to keep the price the same but make the product smaller so we don't complain the price has gone up, or they keep it the same size and increase the price! Just a thought!

:lol: My mum often points the size thing out to me..

Same with the chocolate flavour thing, the last time I had one I thought it was disgusting.. I remember them being MUCH better.

The fact is that if companies find a way to make more money from spending less, then they will do it.. :?

lol, yeah its more like chocolate flavour plastic ;)

Originally posted by Foxxx

Walkers actually have more crisps nowadays. There used to be only 30g but now there's 34.5g. I remember when they used to be 20p though, you'd struggle to find them for less than 30p now.

Has that not got something to do with the fact that there are more crisps in them now, and inflation!! :D Things don't stay the same price forever!

Companies have either got to keep the price the same but make the product smaller so we don't complain the price has gone up, or they keep it the same size and increase the price! Just a thought!

What about when the price goes up and the product reduces in size as well? I think this is the case with Wagon Wheels.

everything is a rip off!

I don't care anymore because I don't eat chocolate or crisps!!!!

So they can put the price up if they want! :)

Need to get people's opinions on this, it's been the subject of more discussion than the election, football and what the Beckhams are up to.

Are Wagon Wheels smaller now than they used to be, (the chocolate biscuits, before some bright spark goes on about historical forms of travel)

A friend claims to have witnessed an interview with the originator who claims they've always been the same size, but they seem to have shrunk to me with the passing of the years, as many things do. Someone out there must have the answer..

I'm with you on this one mate.

I know in a small pudgy kids hand the things could seem quite large compared to the shovels I got now, but am convinced they are smaller.

Same with walnut whips I think - though not seen those for ages do they still make them? or has my passion for Yorkie bars blind me to all other confectionary?

This is from one of the comments on the nice cup of tea and a sit down website:

The 'has it got smaller' debate over the size of a Wagon Wheel is a perennial favourite, and gets picked up by the press every year or so in a slow news week. Interest probably peaked in the mid 90's, when French & Saunders did a sketch with Dawn dressed as a schoolgirl cramming a huge Wagon Wheel into her mouth.Burton's stock answer is 'no they haven't', and the apparent shrinkage is due to an adult's fond childhood memories of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand. However, this is not strictly true. The product was originally made in the Weston's factory at Slough. This closed in the early 80's, and production was transferred to a more modern plant at Llantarnam in South Wales. The old plant produced biscuits with a crinkled edge, but the new more efficient roller (sorry to get a bit geeky) did away with these in favour of a smooth circumference. This meant that the overall diameter of the biscuit was reduced by the thickness of the previous scalloped edge. Not much, probably only 5mm in total, but enough to make them just slightly smaller. So in a sense both arguments are true. The current product is slightly smaller, but not as much as those fond childhood memories will fool you into thinking. There's probably no-one left at Burton's who would remember this, but I have it on good authority from the Manufacturing Manager who supervised the transfer of production.

I actually had one of these the other day as a sudden flush of nostalgia came over me, was a little disapointed as I thought the quality of the chocolate coating was not what it used to be, but as for size, it certainly seemed smaller than remembered.