INTAL (International Twist Drill Co Ltd)

Hi, New to the forum.

My Grandfather was Bill Crooks, I wasn't around when the factory was there, but my dad always told me it was on the site of Fletchers, as we drove past to Grenoside.

Bill Crooks was also heavily involved with Sheffield football club, then on Abbeydale Rd.

Yes, the firm was based on Claywheels Lane, not far on from the main road, and it was known as the Pickford Tool Company as well as being connected to International Twist Drill (I never did know the details of the tie-in). Bill Crooks was the boss down there, and, when I was based at Intal's Watery Street premises, I often had to speak to Bill re orders that had arrived from branches in London, Birmingham and Manchester. I had forgotten that Bill had links with Sheffield FC, though I remember that now. It was around 1957/8 that I knew Bill, and, looking back now, I wish I had known him in later years. At the Pickford Tool Company, incidentally, there was a lovely young lady on the switchboard by the name of Christine!

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 11:43 ----------

Hello Redfyre. I've only just seen this thread. My mother, then known as Margaret Mayor was a typist in the office on Watery Lane just after the war in 1945/46. Madge Gill and her husband ( Bill Gill ) were responsible for my mum and dad getting together. My mum, Margaret Gill, unfortunately passed away 2 years ago, but she often told me of her fond memories of working at the Company's offices on Watery Lane.

Just spotted this note, and it brings back many memories of Intal in the late 1950s.

Hi its Alan Wood, I was in the Table Tennis Team (the 2nd team). would any of the lads that were in the aprentice training center with me please get in touch. Names I remember, Alan Siddall, Gordon Pass, Pat Cain ,Malcolm BlacKburn, Alan Steer, Andy Taylor, Joe ? The instructor was Eric Bimrose.

My email address is alan.wood2@talk21.com

Hi I know this is an old thread but did anyone know of a Peter Bimrose - Eric may have been Peter's father

A very late post I know, but my mother Dot Stacey and my aunt Kate Whitehead worked alongside Edith Grice in the 60s at Wadsley Bridge. Anyone remembers them?

Would love to hear from any one who worked at INTAL on Claywheels lane around 1966

On 08/02/2012 at 14:24, alan wood said:

PAT CAIN ALAN WOOD HAS A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS alan.wood2020@yahoo.co.uk

Hi 

I worked at INTAL in 1966 as an apprentice the Boss was a guy called Eric Bimrose, really nice guy.

Names I remember were Pat Cain, John Kay Barry Siddal, John Deighton The wages were £2. per week. I only stayed 12 months

Left to go to Hallamshire rolling mills. My first wage was £11.00

I think Brian Sleaney worked there in the 50's. He had  casting land on his foot and was in plaster for some time.