Can anyone tell me about the Grand Hotel?

I remember the wine waiter, Armando Nunes Da Silva who lived in Wakefield and had a Messersmidt bubble car. I had to replace his silencer but he made me drill holes in it to make a loud noise. This was 1955, I was 15 at the time, he stopped at the filling station on Barnsley Road which was called Taylor and Wife.

My mother who was a waitress there 51-57ish also remembers this guy. He was Portuguese I think. She used to have a lift to work with him in that bubble car sometimes.

I used to work at the Grand Hotel in the early sixties on the switchboard with Carol and Bunty. The manager was Farquah Macleod and John Spitzer was a live in resident, through his work John new all the stars and once took me to the Gaumont theatre across from the hotel to meet Shirley Bassey who was doing a show with The John Barry Seven. We worked shifts 7am to 3pm and 3pm to 11pm and an elderly man did the night shift. Met a lot of stars who stayed there when doing shows at the City Hall across the road.

I now live in Australia

My nanan Margaret Rich worked there in the 60's as a page girl then went on to work on the switch board at around 15 years old ish. She's sat with me now and would like to know if anyone knows what happened to others who worked there, now

By 15 years old I mean she started there at 15 in 1960's for about 3 years

Hello Bellashaw93

The only Margaret that I knew when I worked on the switchboard there in the 60's was Margaret Merril nickname Bunty, she married Brian who was a chef at the hotel

Downunder

I used to know the Head Wine Waiter, Amando Nunes Da Silva who lived in Wakefield and had a Messersmidt three wheeler and he used to service his bubble car at the filling station on Barnsley Rd below the Capital cinema. The service station was called, oddly enough, Taylor and Wife who had another filling station in Rotherham.

Anybody remember a Sous Chef by the name of Patterson that worked at the Grande approx in the 50's, it's only that I knew and worked with his son.

I'm not asking if anyone knew her, cause I know she worked there.. I live with my nanan she tells me about it all the time.. She just wants to know what happened to the people she knew

I was in the Red Lion[ Holly Street] one evening when my other half walked in with Jim Bradshaw, Rod Goodison, and Ian Steele, they where all sporting very highly polished expensive shoes, they told us that they had left their own rather shabby chukka boots outside the bedroom doors on the Grand Hotel corridors , They were adamant that they would swop them back once their own had been polished .

I am sure that I spotted those Bally shoes on many occasions afterwards but could not be certain they where the same ones.

yes in the late 60s and 70s my mates and me would go there for a few drinks in the buccaneer bar down stairs in the cellar and drink la, which was great we would try and get through a bottle a night lambs navy rum or captain morgans with black current. great drink we or I never seemed to get drunk but a great feeling. also there . so there was never any trouble at all. the one thing that's different today and that is booze is much easier to get these days, supermarkets didn't sell the cheap bottles of wine and vodka unlike now you can buy vodka for a tenner and get ****** before they go out sad bad days now xx:mad:

I wondered where Coles managed to find so many of their sales assistants :D

I was a commie chef back in 1965 ..a great bunch of lads i worked with back then in the kitchen in the Dungeons as we called them .....wish i coul get hold of some of those lads now to have a chat with .....every morning we would have to clock in and the old fella at the door had a croacky voice because he had throat cancer through smoking to many cigs ...Paul vardy ....i now live on a little island called Waiheke just off the coast of Auckland New Zealand

Hi i posted on here back in 2012 and just an update if anyone did know my nan Margaret Howard started working there around 1959 , she passed away 3 years ago. She never did get to find any of her old friends from the hotel which is a shame but if anyone still reads this page and does remember her it'd be nice to speak to someone as she was basically like a mum to me x