Daytime visitor parking at Northern General Hospital

My dad is in the NGH after a heart op and likely to be there for another week. I went to visit him this afternoon and drove round the hospital complex for at least 20 minutes and couldn't find anywhere to park.

Ended up getting completely disorientated and coming out of the 'stores' exit. Headed back for the Herries Road entrance and ended up parking on Herries Road. Which was free, but a good 20 minute walk to his ward.

Are there any tips on which of the hospital car parks are likely to have day time spaces? It was hard to find them today as there were loads of delivery vans/ambulances behind my car which just made me want to get out of the way and carry on driving.

That hospital is a maze. But they are taking fantastic care of my dad which is good. And he is doing well.

My advice would be to park outside the hospital if you are fit enough to walk, it may take longer to walk to your dads ward, but think about how long you are driving around the hospital looking for a space. Glad your dad is doing well, hope he recovers soon:)

Thanks whitewitch. And thanks for your good wishes for my dad! I can easily walk to his ward, but it's just annoying thinking you will arrive when visiting time starts, only to waste most of it looking for parking. I don't mind paying for a space and thought I might have missed a secret car park somewhere. Thinking it might be easier to get the bus...

My advice would be to park outside the hospital if you are fit enough to walk, it may take longer to walk to your dads ward, but think about how long you are driving around the hospital looking for a space.

^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with that. It's quicker and less stressful to park away from the Hospital and walk.

In recent years the NGH have built wards on their existing car parks (reducing the number of available spaces) and introduced parking charges for staff (much to the resentment of staff and the local residents who find their streets congested with parked cars from 7am onwards).

Great to hear your dad is improving. One of my friends spent time there after heart trouble and said the care was second to none :thumbsup:

Much easier to get the bus if you can, but depends where you are coming from, or park the car on the bus route and then catch a bus.

The care is second to none JB, I agree. Heard a story on the ward today about Nurses having to pay for parking. Surely this is wrong? They are doing a great job with my dad and suspect they earn peanuts. But they do it nonetheless. A big thankyou to everyone at NGH.

Heard a story on the ward today about Nurses having to pay for parking. Surely this is wrong?

Why would it be wrong? Hospital provides a car park, if you want to use it, you pay the fee.

Not all nurses drive to work, so providing free parking unfairly benefits those who do.

I've a friend who happens to be a cardiac care nurse and so obviously works some very anti social hours, she lives on the other side of the city and has to get friends or hubby to drive her to work as she couldn't afford to park her car at the hospital.

I know she is a dedicated professional so don't understand why the management [who probably get free parking] aren't very active in finding a way for hard working staff to park free of charge.

THeard a story on the ward today about Nurses having to pay for parking. Surely this is wrong?
I'm afraid it's true. parking didn't used to be paying but STH wanted to have the same policy accros the trust and thus implement paying parking at the NGH (rather off course than doing the opposite and not making pay RHH parking).

There is a pass available to staff but it's like 500 quid a year or something daft. Parking is free on Barnsley Road though the public footpath from it has now been fenced off, closest entrance is the main entrance on Firvale.

Management do get free parking next to the clocktower ;) funny that, double standards and all... The board does not want to give free parking to staff, they want to collect the parking charges off staff and patients alike. It's quite q revenue you know, it pays for the parking warden on the NGH grounds; wait... dispose of the warden and thus remove the charges, hmmm, to logical.

Heyesey shut up, worst case of jealousy ever. Damn it, smokers kill, drivers are anti social. We're all going to end up nuns and monks if we listen to you further.

everyone including management and consultants have to pay to park, for the lower paid it is somewhere in the region of 200 pounds a year or less than a pound a day. Very reasonable when comparing to city centre parking costs and public transport costs, the path through the woods may be closed from dusk til dawn but it's open during the day

I think your best bet is to go a bit early, everyone arrives for the start of visiting hours and then there are no spaces, but if you go an hour earlier and get a coffee it is easier to park. One thing about parking outside the hospital - I have a friend that lives just off Barnsley road and her drive is frequesntly blocked, meaning she cannot get her car in or out. By all means park around there, but please be considerate of the residents. also as the roadworks have closed off one lane on Barnsley road at present it is worse than usual around there. I have heard (although unsure if it is true) that abrnsley road area is to be made a "permit only" zone. Anyone else know about this?

I think the path is still open though, I used it to get through into the hospital when I visited her the other day.

I am a medical sales rep covering hospitals in S Yorks, East and West Mids and if I have a 2 pm appointment, I have to get there around 1.15 to make sure there's a parking space. Although visiting hours are generally 2-8, most people get there for 2 to , how can I put it 'get it over with'. My mum was in the Northern for 3 weeks a couple of months ago and I think since they reduced visiting hours (I think 2-3 /7-8 now) it does aggravate the afternoon parking issue. I found the Herries Road entrance car park easier than the BArnsley road ones