Noisy Steam pipe at Forgemaster

Has anyone else in the vicinity of Arena Square noticed how noisy the steam pipe at Forgemasters is?

I believe they were on a shut down last week but over the last 2 days it has been excessively loud. Contacted the Environmental Health at the council who are based (would you believe it) at Carbrook and the information officer commented that she thought is was very loud when she arrived at work this morning.

Anyway apparently it's not in the councils control but the Department for the Environment DEFRA - and they have been contacted about what's going on.

Although it has just this second stopped - perhaps someones been round and had a word

So that's what it is! I wondered where it was coming from! - we could hear it up near the airport!

it frightend the crap out of me yesterday as i come out of pc world just wasnt ready for that noise lol. but yes its very loud.

Can you imagine what Sheffield was like 30 or 40 years ago. The entire city used to hum to an industrial sound and arena square and all that area around there was the heart of the industrial area.

got a call from Department of Environment and they have spoken to Forgemaster and the silencer was broken. Said they would leave it till weekend and repair then - think its been repaired over night as it is blissfully quiet down here today

Yes, I was at Aldi yesterday with my dad who is deaf and I literally had to bellow when I was trying to talk to him!

I like to see/hear it, and the big steam hammer (I'm guessing thats what it is) it reminds me that at least a bit of Sheffields industry is still alive.

who cares about the industrial noise from Forgemasters steel plant, its good it is still in business and still has orders. It is the east end part of industrial sheffield, it is great that steel manufacturing is still being ordered in sheffield and the 23plus steel plants. It was bad enough people moaning about about the noise of the tinsley/rotherham cooling towers being blown up in August 2008. If you lived in parts of rural rotherham, rural sheffield and rural derbyshire you would miss some noise atleast I would and Im a towny in cosmopolitan throbbin' rotherham.

I work just behind Freemans and through out the day our whole office shakes (don't really know how to describe it) I always thought it was a big hammer type thing. When we first moved to these premises about a year ago it freaked me out, I had no clue what it could be and thought I was imagining my monitor shaking lol

this noise has nothing to do with forgemasters, i work there, the noise of the steam hammers comes (funnily enough!) from the stamp shop which is a completely different company all together and hasn't been part of forgemasters for years.

i don't remember the name of the stampshop (it's changed so many times in the last twenty years or so!!!)

regards, john:)

got a call from Department of Environment and they have spoken to Forgemaster and the silencer was broken. Said they would leave it till weekend and repair then - think its been repaired over night as it is blissfully quiet down here today

why would they talk to forgemasters when it's nothing to do with them???

it seems we get the blame for all sorts:rant::rant:

john.....

How inconciderate !

They should have moved all the industry from attercliffe when they made meadowhall retail dump.

Its probably been there for years.

I dont know, I dont see the problem, its like people that moan about wind farms.