Anyone had a child who has been statemented?

I have a 7 year old who has a diagnosis of adhd, he has been under school action plus sincee year 1 and is still very behind. I have recently paid private for a dyslexia assesment(cost a bloody fortune) because i know that he could have other problems. I myself am dyslexic so there is a chance he could be. the result of the assesment, in brief , is that he may be moderately dyslexic however due to his adhd it is hard to measure. the psychologist said that in his opp his adhd was at the extreme end. after this I went to his school to discuss it with the teacher and ask about him being statemented and she literally laughed at me. said there is no way he would come nder that criteria and even if he did it would make no difference...I feel soooo frustratd, school say he is very behind, but not naughty and disruptive, just very energetic, the assers say he is extreme!!!!! what can I do????? sorry it's a long thread just very balled off.

I was involved heavily with a family who had problems getting a statement, Sheffield doesn't give them very often , it took a move to Barnsley! but we had a long fight, I spent 4 hours down at the special needs education office. We went the way of getting Meg Munn involved, but sadly the family moved due to a death and needing support from family. in the long run it was a good move within 4 months she had a full statemnet

my cousins son was statemented i will ask her about it and let you know

Can I just say that the statement is really worth very little anyway here in Sheffield as the way that support is managed has changed effective from 1/9/08.

Read my threads about special needs in the disability section

My son is 11, is dyslexic and has adhd, he has been statemented for about 4 years now.

The statement is extremely important when it comes to choosing a decent secondary school, we have just managed to get our son in the best school in Rotherham and were told that without the statement he wouldn't have had a prayer.

I dont know what resources there are in sheffield but try parentplus they are very good at advise and I think they can help with getting an assessment for a statement.

My son is 11, is dyslexic and has adhd, he has been statemented for about 4 years now.

The statement is extremely important when it comes to choosing a decent secondary school, we have just managed to get our son in the best school in Rotherham and were told that without the statement he wouldn't have had a prayer.

I dont know what resources there are in sheffield but try parentplus they are very good at advise and I think they can help with getting an assessment for a statement.

Yes, You can still get a statement but that support may well now be diuted is what I am trying to say

In Sheffield a Statement no longer comes with funding directly attatched to it. SO although the school is legally oblieged to meet the needs set out in the statement, if they don't have any funding left, then it's possible they won't be able to do this. Therefore, getting a statement is no guarantee of getting all the help you need. In fact, you could take months/ a year getting the Statement only to discover you've all but wasted your time (here speaks a disallusioned parent!)...Hope someone else is able to give you some more helpful advice. Good luck.

In Sheffield a Statement no longer comes with funding directly attatched to it. SO although the school is legally oblieged to meet the needs set out in the statement, if they don't have any funding left, then it's possible they won't be able to do this. Therefore, getting a statement is no guarantee of getting all the help you need. In fact, you could take months/ a year getting the Statement only to discover you've all but wasted your time (here speaks a disallusioned parent!)...Hope someone else is able to give you some more helpful advice. Good luck.

The average is for 3 terms of support throughout that childs school life

Thank you guys, I am getting a little confused with all the politics and recent changes in funding so this information has been very helpful. I do appreciate that the process is very lenghthy however, whilst it is frustrating, I don't feel that that is all bad because I wouldn't want a statement( or indeed a lable) attatched to my son unless he needs it so I do think the process should be thorough and not taken lightly.

Digressing slightly, I contacted his school yest to ask for another copy of his iep (individual education plan) and was told I would have it for next week because it is only the senco teacher who has access to them and she only works 2 days a week, the reason being confidentiallity, thats fine however it does beg the question, how on earth does his class teacher know what his aims and objectives are and whether he is acheiving these or if the strategies are being implimented daily if she does not have free access to them????? am I being akward??

Thank you guys, I am getting a little confused with all the politics and recent changes in funding so this information has been very helpful. I do appreciate that the process is very lenghthy however, whilst it is frustrating, I don't feel that that is all bad because I wouldn't want a statement( or indeed a lable) attatched to my son unless he needs it so I do think the process should be thorough and not taken lightly.

Digressing slightly, I contacted his school yest to ask for another copy of his iep (individual education plan) and was told I would have it for next week because it is only the senco teacher who has access to them and she only works 2 days a week, the reason being confidentiallity, thats fine however it does beg the question, how on earth does his class teacher know what his aims and objectives are and whether he is acheiving these or if the strategies are being implimented daily if she does not have free access to them????? am I being akward??

That is a good question and one that you need an answer to from the school.What does your childs class teacher know about what support he needs and who actually provides that support?

How often will he get support? etc...