Sign in to follow this  

Solids - routine

I have been experimenting with solids for a while and now I have got a little routine going and a fair few different tastes going.

At the moment Lew is on 5 7oz bottles per day - 7, 10.30, 1.30, 4.30 and 7.30 and is usually in bed at 8.

Well he has been having baby cereal and baby porridge with or without added fruit at the same time as the second bottle and pureed veg of some sort at the 4th one.

Should he be dropping a bottle now but increasing the volume of milk feed or do you think it is ok as it is now? I do not want him to become overweight. (he finishes the whole amount of food AND the full bottle with a break)

He is 24 weeks at the weekend.

From what I remember Adam was having a fair few breastfeeds at the start of weaning and these very slowly cut down. They should be getting most of their nutrients from milk for quite a while, so he sounds pretty normal to me. Adam now only has 2 milk feeds a day, but this is very recent (he is 10 months old). One thing I did do was leave an 40 minutes to an hour gap between milk and solids.

Of course this is for a breastfed baby; I'm assuming it'll be similar with formula. Your health visitor (if you have a decent one!) should be able to advise.

I tried joe with solids from bout 17 weeks. Like you, he had baby cereal with his second bottle - tried this for a week or so then offered him some lunch (Heinz packet) and again some of his bottle and eventually moved on to 3 meals a day. Have to say we used packets and jars when he was starting off. Eventually he'll start to take more solids and not want his milk as much. Joe has an 8oz bottle in a morning then breakfast, lunch a 5oz bottle in the afternoon and a snack then tea and bottle before bed. They are all different tho as you know, Joe just got into his own little routine really - dropping bottles etc.

Good luck!! xxx

If you are worried speak to your HV but don't even think about weight at this age.

Have you tried baby cereal it is gross my daughter wouldn't entertain it so went through baby lead weening instead (google it, worked loads better for us).

Anyway if you find that more food is being taken I would start giving solids more than milk and look at reducing the milk feeds to 3 a day.

Each to there own however my daughter is 2 later this month and still has a bottle in bed first thing about 8oz of full fat (send me down for more all the time hence about 8oz) and between 7/9oz before bed. She is very good at eating and will eat more or less anything.