Can you still buy those yummy fish cakes

That's right, john65 - proper fishcakes have two slices of potato with fish in the middle. In my experience they are hard to get outside South Yorkshire. Most chip shops in North Lincs. sell rissoles and call them fishcakes. But there is one place in Lincoln that sells proper fishcakes - but they call them fritters.

Funny lot in Lincoln...;)

Farthest away I ever saw them was Bulawayo Rhodesia in the 70's a Greek chip shop called them 'Yorkshire Spitfires':huh:

Tha can still get get Sheffield fishcakes in most places in Yorkshire. Off to Bridlington soon and they have them there. Have to say though I don't like salt and vinegar but OH does:D

still get yorkshire fishcakes in most of south yorkshire.just returned from GOA in india and explained yorkshire fishcakes to the owner of a small restaurant in candolim called The Pavillion and he made us some and they were excellent.might have started a new indian food eh

Fishcakes?

Did somebody mention fishcakes??? Ohhh dont start me off about fishcakes!!!!

Ok, I live in Leicestersire and here they dont have fishcakes-- ok they DO have fishcakes but if you ask for one you get a bloody RISSOLE!!!!!!

I was in a chippy in Leicester a few years ago, Rat-bottomed after a night on the Stella and asked for a bag of chips and a fish cake AND THEY GAVE ME A RISSOLE!!!

I said `Thats a bloody rissole` and the bird behind the counter said `Whats a rissole?` and I said `Thats a bloody rissole you silly southern sod and she said `No thats a fishcake, I dont know what a rissole is` and I said `THATS A RISSOLE SO NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ONE IS SO GET ME A FISHCAKE!` AND SHE SAID `THATS A BLOODY FISHCAKE NOW GET OUT BEFORE I STUFF IT UP YOUR BUM BUM` AND...

I left cos she was bigger than me.

So dont start me off about fishcakes or I`ll start ranting.

N stuff.

They make them to order at Linfords in Market Deeping, South Lincolnshire.

Delicious at £1 each and plenty of fish in the middle.

Same problem here Jabberwocky i live in the W/Midlands if it's not bad enough trying to understand the YOW YOW language also try asking for SCRAPS with your fish & chips I gave up a long time ago trying to get a SHEFFIELD FISHCAKE and not a RISSOLE and getting HENDERSON'S on your meat & tatty pie well i dont think i have to explain that to you do I . Do we all live in the same country or what i remember a Chippy on the Cliff near to where the Don Vally is to-day which put a secret ingredient in their FISHCAKES some sort of spicy pepper i think they were the BEST EVER :huh: .

Did somebody mention fishcakes??? Ohh dont start me off about fishcakes!!!!

Ok, I live in Leicestershire and here they dont have fishcakes-- ok they DO have fishcakes but if you ask for one you get a bloody RISSOLE!!!!!!

I was in a chippy in Leicester a few years ago, Rat-bottomed after a night on the Stella and asked for a bag of chips and a fish cake AND THEY GAVE ME A RISSOLE!!!

I said `That's a bloody rissole` and the bird behind the counter said `Whats a rissole?` and I said `That's a bloody rissole you silly southern sod and she said `No that's a fishcake, I dont know what a rissole is` and I said `THATS A RISSOLE SO NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ONE IS SO GET ME A FISHCAKE!` AND SHE SAID `THATS A BLOODY FISHCAKE NOW GET OUT BEFORE I STUFF IT UP YOUR BUM BUM` AND...

I left cos she was bigger than me.

So dont start me off about fishcakes or I`ll start ranting.

N stuff.

They make them to order at Linfords in Market Deeping, South Lincolnshire.

Delicious at £1 each and plenty of fish in the middle.

I now live just the other side of Stamford which is not a million miles from Mkt Deeping and occasionally we have been known to drive there just for Lindfords fish and chips which are incredible BUT I never knew they did a Sheffield Fishcake - just wait till my girls find out that they have been living just a few miles from where they can get them from!!

I live in Barnsley and cannot get a Sheffield fishcake, they only do rissoles which they call fishcakes!

And 'the right of the old school called Chippy Broomheads - only dinner and tea! Mind you, over the years I lived there so I would be interested to know if it's still there ...

And 'the right of the old school called Chippy Broomheads - only dinner and tea! Mind you, over the years I lived there so I would be interested to know if it's still there ...

yes it is .

Remember when they used to write on the chip shop windows in something that goes white? probably windowleen, Well I was in my local chippie one night when somebody had been messing about rubbing some of the writing off. A man asked for chips and a pissole. The woman behind the counter said " That P is supposed to be an R". "OK" said the man "Chips and an Rsole". :D

All this talk of Sheffield fishcakes is making me bloody hungry...

Haven't had one in years. There used to be a chippy on Valley Road that sold damn good fishcakes but their chips were a tad disappointing, however. The nearest Parisian equivalent to a fishcake is a rather poor imitation of the maligned "rissole" mentioned above.

But... recently they've started to sell real fish fingers here, under the "Capitaine Igloo" brand, and they are very good, I would say 99% like the real item. So, it's now possible to make fish finger butties as my mate Neil used to make them - recipe;

two slices of white bread;

three fish fingers;

one slice of that plastic-like cheese;

one slice of tomato;

a generous blob of Hellmans' mayonnaise (also available here, imported)

(Salad cream is much better, but unobtainable here)