Poles at Bowshaw Roundabout...

Someone must know, why have 'they' erected a series of poles at the bottom of the dual carriageway down from the moat house at Bowshaw roundabout.... ??

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Saw this yesterday, looks like another speed camera going up.

they did this because when they were first up they had metal sheets going along the poles so you couldnt see traffic going round the roundabout so people would slow down, but i think it caused too much problems so within next to no time they took the metal sheets down and left the poles.

I saw the metal poles and then the metal sheets fixed onto them a bit later. Then all of a sudden the sheets had good again. I to thought they were to cause people to slow down as you approach the island. Maybe some scrap metal thiefs got in there early. All the council need do is let the grass grow long around there. That's what they normally do!

As mentioned, the panels went up for a few days and then got taken down again - no idea why though, or if they'll be put back up again.

Knowing the PC rules councils have these days the panels were probably the wrong colour grey or something... :hihi:

I completely disagree with using this type of 'safety' design anyway, although it slows drivers down before the roundabout it certainly isn't teaching drivers about early checks. The number of cars in front of me who almost stop at empty roundabouts is stupid, and just because they didn't check early enough if anything was approaching the roundabout from other exits... :rolleyes:

I saw the sheets go up and then be removed. I assumed they were to reduce visibility and force drivers to stop.

But what kind of idiotic safety scheme would it be that reduced visibility?

I presume someone complained on safety grounds or maybe they actually caused a crash because of the screen and then they had to take it down.

The reason they put them up is to make people slow down as they can't see from far away if it's clear or not. It's done quite often.

I agree with you though alistair less visibility should not be good.

The reason they put them up is to make people slow down as they can't see from far away if it's clear or not. It's done quite often.

You must be kidding, thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Only Sheffield council could come up with that.

You must be kidding, thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Only Sheffield council could come up with that.

This location is in DERBYSHIRE, nothing to do with Sheffield Council.

I agree with you though alistair less visibility should not be good.

My understanding of this is that the barriers were indeed put up to reduce visibility and thereby aproach speed, but they had to leave a gap for a footpath, so it didn't work, so they've been removed.

This a technique employed quite a lot these days to slow drivers down as they approach a roundabout.

My understanding of this is that the barriers were indeed put up to reduce visibility and thereby aproach speed, but they had to leave a gap for a footpath, so it didn't work, so they've been removed.

This a technique employed quite a lot these days to slow drivers down as they approach a roundabout.

What a fantastic waste of money By Derbyshire County Council Highways!

I'm going to write to the Derbyshire Times about this.