Sign in to follow this  

John Drummond's tantrum

Was John Drummonds tantrum on the field on Sunday justified or well over the top.

No poll, just your comments.

Not sure,he did break the rules and lost it big time,holding up the race made him look a right idiot,but it did seams pretty harsh to me and you can understand how annoying it must be that a years worth of training was for northing,though as a profesional sports man you should be prepared for these things.

Over the Top but justified in a way. The rule states that if there is any movement in the trap BEFORE the legal reaction time of 1/10th of a second then its a foul. And with the rule changing so that after the first false start anyone else who false starts is automatically disqualified (each individual was allowed two false starts per race before) then he had to go.

But, where most runners don't know the rules is that if there is any doubt, you were allowed to run under protest, which means you ran the race, the IAAF then check the rulebook/view the replays and either DQ you or reinstate you once the race has been completed (with your final placing).

As of these championships, you are not allowed to do this anymore, and more to the point most of the athletes don't know this either, as Darren Campbell said in an interview this evening.

Jon Drummond over reacted, and perhaps it should be the athlete who makes the effort to learn the changes, but it does seem the IAAF have made the mistake of not informing enough people (coaches etc) of the change which means we may get many more unhappy athletes out there before long.

I notice that he has pulled out of the 4x100, I wonder if he was pushed?