Downloading Ubuntu.

You should be pretty safe, I don't use Ubuntooo, but usually your firewall is called iptables, they'll be some gui interface though, then there's rkhunter and chkrootkit for finding nasties. But generally if you keep updated then you'll have no problems.

Oh 'firestarter' is a firewall package which is gaining popularity.

Just downloaded ubuntu,booted it up & all i got was a black screen with lots of writing on it,Some of it said frozen 0X2.

That's the trouble with Linux, - at least in Windows you get a pretty blue SOD In Linux it's a depressingly black one with, if you're lucky, a couple of lines of cryptic gobbldegook.....or should that be gobbledegeek ?

Hope someone comes along to sort you out :)

As stated I don't use ubuntwo.

LQ is good for anything linux!

I think this could also help.

If your machine uses ati graphics then that can cause problems with live distros, but easily sortable on an install.

Theres a linux users group down on paternoster road called 'access', it's a small door on the bend where theres a turning into the cultural industries quarter. You can get a lot of help from them, face to face.

I will have another go tomorrow and if it is the same I will stay with windows.

for your error reporting, what was the last line? More would be good...

Just tried again but got the same results,so, I think i will uninstall & try again.My P.C. had a virus check during the installation & it may have wiped something off.I will try again tonight.

Installed & un-installed 3 times & still getting the black screen with the mumbo jumbo on it.Even tried installing it from a disc & it was still the same so it is back to outlook express & windows.

are you installing from within windows? that sounds a bit crazy. But can't help unless we know what your actual error output is. With linux it's not mumbo jumbo, it's quite informative, not just hex address locations...

personally i use fedora core, but centos is fedora based and becoming very popular