Any Ancestors of Percy Stanley (1892)

Hello,

I am trying to locate any living ancestors of Percy Stanley who was born in 1892. His father was called Robert Winstanley and his mother was called Florence. Percy had a younger brother called John Winstanley. I understand that Percy had a large family and lived at Wincobank then moved to Millhouses. His brother John lived at Wisewood.

I have been doing some family tree research into the Winstanleys / Stanleys and would really like to make contact with Percy's family.

I guess you mean descendants of Percy Stanley. They are usually more difficult to trace than ancestors, but if you know which streets the Stanleys/Winstanleys lived in, it would be worth posting this information as it might jog someone's memory. The 1901 census indicates that Robert Stanley (his surname is given as Stanley not Winstanley) was a blacksmith who hailed from Hartlepool, while Florence was Sheffield-born; they lived on Furnace Hill. The 1925 Kelly's Directory mentions a "Robert Stanley, cart owner, 436 Brightside Lane" - I don't know if this is relevant. From 'freebmd' it seems that Percy might have married Fanny Cooper in July-Sept. 1913.

Yep I meant descendants ... The only details I have about Percy is that he lived on Clematis Road at Wincobank in the 1940's. Percys father was called Robert Winstanley but you are correct, he used Stanley for the Census and for poor Percy's birth certificate. (The family story is that he was sozzled when he registered the birth, probably sozzled during the Census too). And you are spot on with Percys mother being called Florence. I haven't seen the freebmd site before so I will check out the marriage to Fanny Cooper.

Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look at this for me.

Hi

Percy STANLEY is a no:2 Clematis Road in 1954.

Tuppie

... I haven't seen the freebmd site before so I will check out the marriage to Fanny Cooper.

I think it would be worth applying for the marriage certificate, which you can do on-line via the G.R.O. website. Details are: July-Sept. 1913, Sheffield district, Vol. 9c Page 1157.

I have the 1973 Kelly's directory - by this time Percy Stanley had gone from 2 Clematis Road (may have died?). I'll be in the Local Studies Library sometime next week and if it's worthwhile I could check the 1957 and 1961-69 directories which they have on the shelves.

1960 Percy Stanley 137 Penrhyn Rd 11

Beatrice A. Stanley lived at 137 Penrhyn Road in 1972. Could Percy have remarried?

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this. Will get onto some investigating now and let you know what I come up with. I think a trip down to the Sheffield Archives are in order to help me learn where to go for what information.

Hi Elaine

This is interesting.

I still can't find Percys death certificate. It's all getting a bit strange now and confusing!

On Fannys death cert in 1955, she was a widow meaning Percy had already passed away by then. But in 1954 he was at Clematis Road - did they die within days/weeks of each other?

Or did they have a son named Percy adding to the confusion and hes the one on Penrhyn Road S11?

Answer on a postcard please?!

Kirsten

Percy is on 1911 census listed as Winstanley with mother Florence a widow, they are living at 238 Solly street, boarding with the Emmingham family. Let me know if you would like a copy of the image!

there's a death registered in Jun quarter of 1905 in Sheffield for a Robert Winstanley aged 43?

Martin

Here is a list of all children born Stanley with mothers maiden name Cooper should that be the correect marriage.

Name Year born Quarter Area

Violet 1914 June Sheffield

George 1920 Mar Ecclesall Bierlow

Ivy M 1920 Mar Ecclesall Bierlow

Percy 1922 Dec Sheffield

Colin 1924 Dec Sheffield

Irene M 1926 Sept Sheffield

Lily 1928 Sept Sheffield

Kenneth 1930 June Sheffield

Joyce 1935 Dec Sheffield

If you find that the marriage to Fanny Cooper is the correct one it would be worth checking these out at the local Archives.

Martin

yes please, thank you

Percy is on 1911 census listed as Winstanley with mother Florence a widow, they are living at 238 Solly street, boarding with the Emmingham family. Let me know if you would like a copy of the image!

there's a death registered in Jun quarter of 1905 in Sheffield for a Robert Winstanley aged 43?

Martin