200 jobs to go in Sheffield Homes

I am not an expert on housing finance but, as far as I am aware, Council tax and 'Council' house rents are completely separate. Council tax money cannot be used to repir or subsidise the rent on Council housing, and vice versa. There are really strict accounting rules and the Council (and Sheffield Homes) is audited on a regular basis. If any Council did this, it would be ultra vires, or illegal.

Incidentally, Council rents are used to fund Housing Benefits.....

>snipped<

In terms of the rent collection, there are a number of 'indicators' which are used to measure performance (such as rent collection; and length of time properties are empty between tenants etc). Sheffield Homes are measured on this and their performance will have consequences. The Government inspect ALMO's on a regular basis. The best performing ones will be given more freedom, and it will be interesting to see what happens to Sheffield Homes.

>snipped<

You're right about council tax not being used to offset rent debt. Incidentally, SCC perform woefully in dealing with Housing benefit claims and that has nothing to do with Sheffield Homes.

"Sheffield Homes" are failing to collect Rent at acceptable levels now (see key performance indicators, SCC website) and surely the situation is going to get worse if they have fewer staff.

I've looked at the performance indicators on SCC website for 07/08. http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/policy--performance/key-performance-indicators

They were in the top quartile for rent collection. That means they are amongst the best performing councils in England in terms of rent collection. Up to March 2008 (last reports) Sheffield Homes had collected 98.4% of rent, against a target of 97.7%.

Perhaps you have more recent figures - I can't see them so a link would be good.

I've looked at the performance indicators on SCC website for 07/08. http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/policy--performance/key-performance-indicators

They were in the top quartile for rent collection. That means they are amongst the best performing councils in England in terms of rent collection. Up to March 2008 (last reports) Sheffield Homes had collected 98.4% of rent, against a target of 97.7%.

Perhaps you have more recent figures - I can't see them so a link would be good.

That's very interesting, I got the figures from the same website only last week but they were for the year 06-07, I couldn't see 07-08 but admittedly I didn't look very hard.

I wonder if they've updated them since this thread started.:suspect:

I see from reading tonight's Sheffield Star that Peter Morton and his fellow directors are in for a grilling in the letters section :D

Sounds like the staff are going to find out this week how many are going :(

I can tell you that sheffield homes staff are still no wiser!!! Maybe by January they will have a clue!!!!

Can you believe this saga is still continuing!!!