Anyone from the Kelvin 1951 to Demolition

I cannot place Straw lane.I believe it was Jenkinson street where they lived.It was a tiny one up one down house in the corner of a big yard.

Did Kelvin go up before Park Hill and Hyde Park?

Did Kelvin go up before Park Hill and Hyde Park?

Parkhill was first, then Hyde Park, then Kelvin.

Georgie Woodward was my uncle and a Rag and Bone on the Kelvin.He was married to to Grace and they had three sons and a daughter.Michael andI think David and forgive me I cannot remember the other two.Nearly fifty years since we were last i touch. Sad really

I don't remember George Woodward but round the corner from our house at 59, Jenkinson St at No 43 Kelvin St lived a Tubby and Manny Woodward and their old mother.They were rag and bone men as well and were well known local characters in the Kelvin I think they must have been related to your uncle.

I think you are right he did have brothers.They left the Kelvin in the late sixties and moved on to the Flower estate which I suppose was a great improvement at that time.Lost touch in the 70's.when we left Sheffield.But the boys should still be around,Michael George and Kevin.

I had aunts wjo lived at Westmoreland Street during the 50's and 60's .

Another aunt had the corner shop on Daniel Hill and Westmorland Street.

Mum used to take the laundry every Monday to the Public Laundry on Daniel Hill - now there are scenes that probably will never be repeated

Cripes. I remember that shop on the corner of Westmoreland Road. My mum used to call the owner Enoch. You could go over with a jug and he'd fill it with beer.

Also the public laundry, locally called the 'wash-house'. Went in once with my mother, was like a scene from hell. We used to go the public baths at Upperthorpe.

m y name is david cam i lived in coranation  buildings before kelvin flats were built my aunty lived on portland street i can remrmber going to the oxford cinema on saterdays  and my dad was on the comitte at phiadelphia working mans club in the  kelvin  good days

Around 1960 I courted Howard Kenyons daughter Janet ,he had the car sales business opposite the Unity pictures in the Kelvin!.Howard looked after me buying cars at the auction for me and letting me pay him back at well below his usual prices in installments!.I had several cars from him while I was taking Janet out over more than two years,we split up because I wanted to go out more with my mates down town drinking and dancing at the new night clubs on offer at this time!.I felt I didn,t want to settle down,its a shame because Janet was a lovely girl and for a time later I did regret it but I thought I knew best,the story of my life!.