Anyone from the Kelvin 1951 to Demolition

The Gatefield fronted on to Infirmary Rd. The Halfpenny was at the Upperthorpe end of the flats.

Gatefield is the one ......was on the front of the flats facing infirmary rd.

I lived at 9 Jenkinson street from about 1950, when I was one year old to about 1957/58, when we moved to Ringinglow Road. I have been looking for some photographs of the old Kelvin area for ages but no luck as yet. A couple of friends of mine also lived on Jenkinson Street, Peter Coldwell and his older brother Dave.

There was a woman who lived across the road from us who was always cleaning and whitewashing her front step, I remember a pal and I getting one of those plastic "trick dog turds" one day and putting it on her step after she went back in then waiting for the reaction when she came out, it was worth waiting for.

Years later in my early twenties I lived on Kelvin Walk on the flats with my wife and kids, in the early 70's.

I have the 'Edith Walk' sign with graffiti hangin in my kitchen the wife lived on Portland walk back in the eighties good old days.

Does anyone have any pictures of either of the pubs that they took? I noticed Old Tup States his brother in law used to be a landlord at one of these. If anyone does please email / pm me as I am working on a project about Sheffield pubs-

sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

I lived at 9 Jenkinson street from about 1950, when I was one year old to about 1957/58, when we moved to Ringinglow Road. I have been looking for some photographs of the old Kelvin area for ages but no luck as yet. A couple of friends of mine also lived on Jenkinson Street, Peter Coldwell and his older brother Dave.

There was a woman who lived across the road from us who was always cleaning and whitewashing her front step, I remember a pal and I getting one of those plastic "trick dog turds" one day and putting it on her step after she went back in then waiting for the reaction when she came out, it was worth waiting for.

Years later in my early twenties I lived on Kelvin Walk on the flats with my wife and kids, in the early 70's.

Hi Ken I lived at 59 Jenkinson St from 1957 to when it was demolished and knew David and his younger brother Peter well. My cousin had a pub in Burley in Wharfedale in the 70s and Peter was living in Burley at that time.I haven't heard of Peter since then but my sister told me she had had been told that David (Bear) had passed away unfortunately.

I went to "Upperthorpe" school and left in 1962 remember Dougie Keeling who lived on Kelvin street and the Thickett family who lived on our street.I think the woman living next door to us at 57 was called Mrs Whitworth and I used to go to shops for her tins of "Wilsons" snuff. I certainly remember the woman who Donkey stoned her her doorstep a lot, people liked to do that back then it was an house proud thing for them I think. John Gold was my name and I had a brother called Irving and a sister called Margaret.

My father also worked for Herbert Jackson who had a large garage on the Right at the end of Cross Portland Street. where he kept 2 coaches and 2 coal lorries. Coming back towards Portland St there was a stables where a guy kept his horsr and cart and did the rounds seeing fruit and veg. I remember also someonr opposite use to sell newspapers where peoople use to buy papers before they went on coach trips,

My great uncle John was the guy with the stables and horses ..he used to sell fruit and veg...my dad used to look after the horses when he was younger

Georgie Woodward was my uncle and a Rag and Bone on the Kelvin.He was married to to Grace and they had three sons and a daughter.Michael andI think David and forgive me I cannot remember the other two.Nearly fifty years since we were last i touch. Sad really

I lived up the hill - 137 Daniel Hill Street - from around 1946 to around 1951.

It was a pretty wild place so a lot of fun for a young lad. Our house (on Farm Bank Rd) was bombed out in ww2 blitz and my 18 yr old mum and i were evacuated to a farm in Norfolk,(where the old man was serving in the RAF) returning to Sheffield at end of war to above address. I had the wrong accent, a father who insisted I wore a tie, and I didn't know the difference between Wednesday and United - this led to a sharp learning curve on how to survive. All the kids in the area dreaded the "Kelvin Gang". I believe I actually met said gang one day and remember a pretty tough looking bunch of "big kids" (probably 12- 14 yr olds) when i was about 9 - I distinctly remember one evil looking fella had a broken nose and another (also a scary looking bugger) was wearing a sheepskin flying jacket and matching hat (which I now know was American air force issue stuff,likely from B17 bomber crew - somebody in his family was apparently well connected) - Anyway there I was alone and totally at their mercy - would you believe they didn't touch me and I walked away unharmed and mightily relieved. Possibly the luckiest day of my life I've often thought.

So the "Kelvin gang" wasn't so bad - hope they all have/had a good life!

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 04:26 ----------

P.S. - "Hillsbro" - thanks for many interesting and informative posts.

Edited by macksmedley
misspelled user name "Hillsbro"

Whitelys Coaches bring back happy memories old man Whitely used to take us to Loxley School in the 40s 50s rather grumpy old man but great character.

That was my grandad. Remember when I was about 4 he drove the car through at red at the lights at the junction of Penistone Rd/Langsett rd. Later I found out that he had never passed his test. Because he started all his driveing before the test came out. Don't know if he ever passed it for the coaches. I know that my father did after he stopped driving.

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:35 ----------

Hi there,

Did my apprenticeship as a Joiner at the Don Joinery on the corner of Langset rd and Gertrude st Kelvin Grove, opposite Leather & Simpson motorbike place, from 1962 to 1968, then emigrated to Australia.

Fantastic times, great memories of the guys there and the work we produced.

Proud to have worked for Jack, he was a great boss.

Mick

Remember getting a pair of stilts from there my grandmother had whitley's sweet shop just opposite to the enterence to the Unity Picture palace.

Georgie Woodward was my uncle and a Rag and Bone on the Kelvin.He was married to to Grace and they had three sons and a daughter.Michael andI think David and forgive me I cannot remember the other two.Nearly fifty years since we were last i touch. Sad really
Was he the George that lived down Straw Lane