Anyone from the Kelvin 1951 to Demolition

Have relatives who lived on Watery Lane.

Was that near to Watery Street, my mate's gran lived on Watery Street.

Was that near to Watery Street, my mate's gran lived on Watery Street.

Yes it was like the continuation of Watery Street beyond Port Mahon.

Lived on Portland Walk opposite chinese chippy between 86-88. Used to wheel my motor bike from boiler house end which was ground level to my flat. Couldn't leave it in car park overnight as it certainly would have "walked". Had a plastic pig Reliant Regal 3 wheeler at the time and used to park it elsewhere as the few times I left it in the car park it was used as target practice by the bombers above on Woolen and Edith.

I remember the corner shop at the top of Daniel Hill. Used to walk past it on the way home.

Also remember trhe wash house, I have spent many a time in there with my mother.

Anybody go to Daniel Hill school?

I went to that school and like you i remember the shop i used to get my small ice lollies on my way home after school i loved my time on the kelvin dispite what some people say about it and had some great friends there

I lived on the kelvin wot a laugh and so many memories . I lived on portland walk did anyone recall attending the kelvin youth club & playing football in the (as we called it) the pitch . And all the great shops on upperthorpe sadley not ther no more if so reply with some of your memories .

i lived on kelvin street in mid fifties. my best friend was margaret gold, she lived at the top of the hill, the first time i ever watched television was at hers, andy pandy and bill and ben!!!!! We were bridesmaids at her {i think} cousins wedding, i would love to see a photo of us at that.

Hope there is someone else out there that remembers the old street. The cobbled road, the lady who made toffee and sold it from her front door, the rag and bone man, the coal man throwing those big sacks of coal down the grate! My mother also used to go to the wash house, the towels used to be like sandpaper, i used to say they were "rusty". We used to go to Mrs Clark's sweetshop, she was a lovely lady.

Edited by memari laine

Whitelys Coaches bring back happy memories old man Whitely used to take us to Loxley School in the 40s 50s rather grumpy old man but great character.

Fairy Normal

I clicked onto your link to Photobucket to see your pictures but was invaded by loads of spam phone adverts which I could not get rid of to see your pictures.

Other Forummers be warned! PopT

Whitelys Coaches bring back happy memories old man Whitely used to take us to Loxley School in the 40s 50s rather grumpy old man but great character.

I saw a slightly different side as he was my step grandfather although he was never ott.

I also remember Johnny Coggin (not Johnny Kalendar) just above leather & Simpson . Hemmings family Gary, Stewart,Brian and the girls who lived between Kenyons garage and Justices factory just in front of the milk yard. Also in the early 50's there was Gillian Bolsover at the corner betwee whitleys shop and Glover and Wood

I used to court a girl from the Kelvin area in 1958 when I was a 15yr old young Tup,it was down the back of the Sally Army,the road ran parallel with Penistone Rd onto Wood St I forget the name of it.She was a lovely girl with long ginger hair,her name was Sylvia Hanley but as usual I buggered it up with my smart arsed clever ways!.I remember the road was uneven and cobbled,where the Bingo was built is where her house was in a terraced row,blimey how time flies by I feel ancient, maybe because I am!.:confused::huh::hihi:

I used to court a girl from the Kelvin area in 1958 when I was a 15yr old young Tup,it was down the back of the Sally Army,the road ran parallel with Penistone Rd onto Wood St I forget the name of it.She was a lovely girl with long ginger hair,her name was Sylvia Hanley but as usual I buggered it up with my smart arsed clever ways!.I remember the road was uneven and cobbled,where the Bingo was built is where her house was in a terraced row,blimey how time flies by I feel ancient, maybe because I am!.:confused::huh::hihi:

That would be Lime St/Thurza St.

Perhaps you can remember Styring's Glass Works at the bottom of Wood St.