Anyone from the Kelvin 1951 to Demolition

No never even heard of Kelvin but I'd do any thing to push a thread past the EVIL Grimsthorpe thread

Kelvin Flats must of been one of the most notorious social housing developments ever, but yet very little is documented about the complex, I know of its graffiti epidemic by Keep Britain Tidy, unfortunately no longer on the net :(:mad: Pete's FCS photos and his short story, but after googling several obvious keywords, I can't find anything else documented to do with the flats?

I used to live on Informary Road opposite the cement factory. Was a member of the Salvation Army (didn't know any better) and also went to Philadephia slipper baths on Friday nights. My grandfather had a barbers shop called Aldams. We used to spend our summer days picking tar out of the cobbles on Daniel Hill. Happy days !!! Moved from there when I was 12 in 1961 to Walkley.

Anyone know if Philadelphia school is still there?

Does anyone remember what all of the 'streets' were called? I lived there for two years (83-85) but can't remember the address. Remember great views and constant hot water. Shame that the idea of 'villages in the sky' never really worked.

Does anyone remember what all of the 'streets' were called?...
Some or all of them were named after streets that had been there before the flats were built. I remember Portland Walk, Edith Walk, Woollen Walk and Kelvin Walk. You might like to visit this site.

I worked on the Kelvin Project when people were being rehoused,the place was a wonderful mix of people all with a story to tell. When it was first built it was a good place to live ,however the Housing policy that eventually let to anyone spoile the complex. When you look at edward st another complex that is still going strong lessons need to be learnt about social housing

i lived on portland walk for about 18 months and then moved on to edith walk a 3 bedroom it was great iwas so sad to leave there. i wish i could have moved that flat to somewhere else instead of the house i live in, it seems so small compared to my lovely flat

Does anyone remember Mrs Spencer who lived in the flats? A big, cuddly Jamaican, she was "a real character" and the life and soul of the children's ward (Ward 17) the Northern General Hospital when I was a student nurse there in 1969. She was the ward orderly, and all the kids and staff thought the world of her. I don't know exactly where in the flats she lived, but they don't make 'em like that any more. I like to think that, now well into her 80s, she is enjoying a well-earned retirement somewhere, and bringing a little sunshine into the lives of her friends and neighbours..:)

Edited by hillsbro

lived on jenkinson street from 1957 to 64 margaret Gold was the name

hi all,

i lived on daniel hill. iwent to daniel hill school to. anne bower owned corner shop.top shop was owned by bedfords.old man bedford still used a candle even though he d got electricity.lovely couple. many a good time had.always on kelvin flats.

I used to live on Informary Road opposite the cement factory. Was a member of the Salvation Army (didn't know any better) and also went to Philadephia slipper baths on Friday nights. My grandfather had a barbers shop called Aldams. We used to spend our summer days picking tar out of the cobbles on Daniel Hill. Happy days !!! Moved from there when I was 12 in 1961 to Walkley.

Anyone know if Philadelphia school is still there?

I lived on Infirmary Road, opposite the George IV and went to Philadelphia School. The school was demolished a few years ago and Bickerton's Skoda dealership stands there now!

Have relatives who lived on Watery Lane.