Anyone from the Kelvin 1951 to Demolition

I lived in the old back to back houses at kelvin then in the kelvin flats and now primrose hill

I lived at 104 Woollen Lane it was opposite the old Philidephia club from when I was born December 1956 to 1963 - cup final day I believe.We were moved to Foxhill like a lot of people from Kelvin and I can remember having to come out our front and only exit door down the street and up the yard to go to our toilet that we shared with next door, we also had a tin bath that hung on a hook in the celler the house we moved into had a inside toilet - how posh we thought at the time and a seperate bathroom sheer bliss

crikey they bring some memories back i didn't live on the kelvin myself

but i worked in the butchers on Portland road for a few years as a young lad

so i new many of the residents very well. :)

My grandparents lived on Kelvin on Langsett Road and owned Whiteleys coaches and the sweet shop next to it opposite the Unity Cinema

I never lived on Kelvin but worked in the Kelvin day centre for a while and Upperthorpe N/F school. Loved looking at the photo's-certainly brought back memories.

Had friends who lived on the Kelvin in the 80's. Have shown my children the photo's as we live close by and they just cant visualise it being there-the area it covered was so large and was such an imposing building.

Some of the photos as you faced Kelvin from Langsett Rd show masionette type housing to the right hand side on the hill (top side of Wraggies) were these what is now Fox Rd/top side of Burgoyne Rd. Was this the housing before the current estate? was built? Have lived at crookes/walkley since 79 and dont recall this style of housing there only at the Oxford St side-can someone confirm?

Thankyou

mumsy

My grandparents lived on Kelvin on Langsett Road and owned Whiteleys coaches and the sweet shop next to it opposite the Unity Cinema
do you have any pictures of whiteleys coaches you could post on here?

No sorry havn't got a scanner have one of my father outside the top garage and photo stat copies from my aunt of the old coaches my grandfather had. May i ask why?

Leather and Simpsons (BSA agents) were on the bottom end of the Kelvin, nearly opposite the Unity picture house. I remember a friend taking me to someone's house down there (possibly Fox Rd), and he put a new 45 single on his radio-gramophone, it was Palisade's Park by Freddie Cannon. I also knew (what I believed to be) the first resident on the new Kelvin flats, he was a chiropodist called Colin, and I think his flat was next to a lift (or a service lift).

I have vague memories of the old Kelvin area before the flats…..keeping hold of the pram walking towards West Don Street. My mother told me that the Sally Army place always did well. She was very proud to be the May Queen in 1952.

Does anyone know the Bennett-Pitts or England family from around there?

would that be bob,fred and mandy england

My school pal (at King Ted's) John Hissett lived on Alwyn Street, off Robert Street. He is still around (lives at Wincobank) but his fine parents are long gone. Herbert Hissett worked at the wash-house next to Upperthorpe baths; Dora Hissett was a Girl Guides leader. When the houses were demolished in 1961 they moved to a maisonette on Bramwell Street. Dora's father, a WW1 veteran, lived near them on Alwyn Street; I think he moved to a flat nearby. I well remember the old Leather & Simpson shop - I bought my brand-new BSA Bantam there in 1969, just before they moved to Flora Street.