Procedure For Bidding On Council Houses

Hi There, i just wondered, when bidding on coucil houses i bid online, is there a maximum number you can bid on? i do bid on a fair few and say for instance i bidded on 15 properties would only a small number of my bids be considered and the rest ignored? hope that makes sense? and does what number you put in the preference bit make a difference? what i mean is say i put a property i bidded on at preference number 10 and i had a better waiting time than somebody else yet they put preference 1 would they be offered it first? can things happen like that?

hope it all makes sense! apologies if not!

thanks again.

You can bid on as many as you want, you would only be matched if you met the letting criteria for that particular property.

The preference number that you put does not in anyway affect the way in which a property is matched, it just means that if that week you were the top of the list for 1 or more properties, they would try to offer it to you as per your preference.

It is still all based on waiting time, whether this be the amount of years you have or the amount of time a priority award has been on.

Hope this helps if not best thing to do is contact your local area office who will explain in more detail.

Hi thanks for the reply, is it possible mistakes could happen with the bidding, you know somebody may get forgotton about or are they pretty good with the sorting out procedure?

thanks for the reply i really appreciate it.

Sheffield housing are crap

been on the list 5 years, work full time, 32 weeks pregnant and still not got anywhere

Sheffield housing are crap

been on the list 5 years, work full time, 32 weeks pregnant and still not got anywhere

Not sure what working full time has to do with getting a council house? Are you homeless? If you are, then your waiting time won't matter, you could be eligible for priority as you are pregnant. As three quarters of council properties go to people with some sort of priority, it means only 1 in 4 are for people bidding on waiting time alone. If you're not homeless, then its just a case of keeping bidding and 5 years waiting time isn't really long these days, especially if you're holding out for a house rather than a maisonette. Big shortage of council properties, especially houses.

Have you tried housing associations?

Hi thanks for the reply, is it possible mistakes could happen with the bidding, you know somebody may get forgotton about or are they pretty good with the sorting out procedure?

thanks for the reply i really appreciate it.

I don't see how mistakes could be made if you're bididng on line unless the system crashes. However, if you haven't got priority and are bidding solely on waiting time you must be realistic. The time scales advertised with the properties are based on how long the last person was waiting who got a similar property in the same area. Now due to the growing shortage of council homes, the demand is growing all the time and waiting times are getting much longer.

Not sure what working full time has to do with getting a council house? Are you homeless? If you are, then your waiting time won't matter, you could be eligible for priority as you are pregnant. As three quarters of council properties go to people with some sort of priority, it means only 1 in 4 are for people bidding on waiting time alone. If you're not homeless, then its just a case of keeping bidding and 5 years waiting time isn't really long these days, especially if you're holding out for a house rather than a maisonette. Big shortage of council properties, especially houses.

Have you tried housing associations?

No i'm not homeless I'm living in my brothers spare bedroom at the moment, and because I work nobody is willing to help me with a bond on a private rented house which makes it really hard to go private. I don't know any housing agencies to try as I only want to be housed in the Shiregreen/Wincobank area as this is my first baby and don't want to be far away from family and friends