Residents Parking - Can't Tell the Difference

and I need one for running the kids around.

Have they not got any legs?

Yet the reason why buses are "unreliable" and "never on time" is that they are crap, and also get held up by lazy and unfit cyclists like myself clogging up the roads as we cannot achieve a speed greater than 4 MPH! If we banned buses and prevented people from owning cycles, motorists could zoom to their destinations in a fraction of the time!

Sense at last, Basil. :D

Probably, but maybe they can't reach the pedals to drive themselves yet? :confused:

You try getting them from school to a martial arts lesson within minutes.:rolleyes:

I think that it looks worse because they have made all of the roads into the city centre single carriage due to the (hardly used) bus lanes which have sprang up.

Leaving a small number of cars trying to get down a single lane, and making bigger traffic james.

Except that there's very few bus lanes that go all the way to a junction - and it's junction capacity that determines flow/jams.

I agree to a point but if people stay in the right hand lane then people further up the road don't have the chance to get to the junction.

I don't mind bus lanes that are used like ecclesall road- but there are lanes all around the city that have hardly any buses using them during the rush hour- that what annoys me.

It's the same old "everyone wants everyone else to get out of their car and make use of the bus lanes" then?

Whata great idea- leaving me the roads clear to i can drive to work ;)

seriously though- i do car share another work colleague to do my bit.

One of the prime motives for using my car rather than the bus is that I can be sure that if anybody has ****** on the seat it will have been me.

I work at the University and along with many others I used to park in what's now the Crookesmoor parking scheme. So now, along with many others, I now park just outside the zone which adds as much as, ooh, 2 minutes walk to my daily journey. I can easily cope with that, if the idea was to encourage me to use public transport it's failed miserably because I can use the car for a third of what the bus/tram would cost me.

So now there are dozens and dozens of empty spaces which never get used during the day, whilst the residents who live outside the zone have to put up with loads more traffic. Well done Council, another brilliant solution.

Probably the most annoying thing about it is that on some roads there are "free" spaces which have no restrictions, yet these are often used by people with residents parking badges when there are plenty of parking bays for them!

Car ownership should be replaced with compulsory rental schemes. Make it cheaper to use clean, reliable public transport, and when you do need a car (holiday, business meeting) rent one. Saves you money, and helps congestion.

Discuss.

lol

We already car share and it's one of the smaller environmentally friendly models and we never holiday abroad so we're not gas-guzzling.

No good for people with pets as most rental schemes won't allow you to transport animals, hence just one reason you won't find us voting in favour of your proposal. we holiday in the UK, take our dog and regularly go out to the coutryside with her. That and needing to fetch and carry shopping which we would prefer to buy in person rather than online (because Tesco and the rest are hopeless at sending the right goods or we work full time and cannot wait at home for deliveries or travel to tinsley to fetch them from a courier who refuses to deliver at the weekend) oh and we have elderly relatives in Rotherham to attend to so quite frankly, hanging around waiting for various buses to arrive that don't take us anywhere clse to where we need to get to after we've both been at work all day...we prefer our car, thankyou.