How much would you like to be paid?

Choose your salary.  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your salary.

• £40k in a £20k average salary society?
    • £50k in a £100k average salary society?

Just to use an example, in 40K world, i might be able to afford a pretty decent guitar, like a high end epiphone, whereas many of my peers would be reduced to rocking out on a £50 piece of plastic from argos.

In 50K land, i can afford an awesome expensive gibson, and i would love it, i don't think the fact that all my friends could afford to get vintage instruments signed by rock stars would really take that much away from it. I'd still have an awesome guitar!

Same thing would work for like all consumer goods, i'd be able to get better ones in 50k land than in 40k land. Simple choice really.

I disagree, the item changes depending on how poor is poor, but in the 100k average world, you're still poor. You might be able to buy a nice BMW, but everyone else would have a Porsche. You might be able to travel business class, but everyone else is going first.

Since you don't have many people lower than you to compare to, you are still poor, and being poor sucks.

In 40k world, you might not stretch to a BMW, but if you're the one with a new Mondeo and everyone else is driving a 4 year old model, you'll have the nicest car and spend all Sunday polishing it.

Also - say you want a house cleaner, in 40k world, you can get one, you hire the person on 1/2 the average wage as your live in help.

In 100k world, you are the live in help because you're the person on half the average and it's Mr 200k who's hiring you.

enough to be comfortable

ie:- im on just very slightly above minimum wage and do a highly stressful ful, technical, dangerous, uncomfortable job

i get just over 10k and barely able to live (even without things like savings, insurance, car, mortgage, holidays, doing the lottery etc etc)

20k would prolly make me comfortable