How much would you like to be paid?

Choose your salary.  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your salary.

• £40k in a £20k average salary society?
    • £50k in a £100k average salary society?

Two choices:

1. You have an annual salary of £40k in a society where the average salary is half yours at £20k.

2. You have a higher annual salary of £50k in a society where the average salary is double yours at £100k.

Assuming that the purchasing power of money would be exactly the same in both scenarios, which one would you choose?

The question has already been researched, so I know the answer given by the vast majority of people. But it is interesting to ask yourself why you would prefer one scenario to the other.

I also assume that in this poll the result will be much more balanced than in the original research. This is because I have already said think about it, and it’s a public forum.

:huh:

50k for me too please. No, wait - just give me the 90 and I'll be fine.

Well if the purchasing power is the same, then obviously £50K. But there is no way purchasing power would be because prices would adjust.

i would rather have £50k, but then on other hand I wouldn't want to have less money than everyone else!

tricky! :huh:

more money obviously, who cares what other people have, if prices are the same in both societies then 50K every time!

I'm... astounded.

EDIT at least the votes aren't quite as bad as the replies, but overall they're still awful (so far - only 65% of people are able to realise the obvious).

Given the conditions - particularly, the one about the purchasing power of money being the same in both cases - it's a no-brainer. You want more money.

In the real world, of course, the purchasing power could not possibly remain the same.

EDIT at least the votes aren't quite as bad as the replies, but overall they're still awful (so far - only 65% of people are able to realise the obvious).

What are you counting as obvious? You have noted the caveat about the purchasing power, yes?

40k, Obviously if most people are getting twice as much as you everthing is going to cost more and the extra 10k would be less than significant.

Or am i reading it all wrong ?

I cant see how spending power would be the same if you are getting twice as much compared to half as much, surely the amount would be irrelevant

I cant see how spending power would be the same if you are getting twice as much compared to half as much, surely the amount would be irrelevant

In the real world it couldn't be, and you're right. In the hypothetical world described by the question, it is the same and you're wrong. ;)

What are you counting as obvious? You have noted the caveat about the purchasing power, yes?

So why are we told to think about it? I live in the real world, but perhaps I should have pretended that statement could be true and NOT thought about it.