What will you do with that fake £1 coin ?

I don't see the problem, someone gives me a bit a of metal in my change at the supermarket, I pass it on to a barman, he gives it to another punter, he spends it at Asda, etc etc

As far as I'm aware I've only had one passed on to me and that was about ten years ago and I've still got it. I suppose I could of tried to pass it on somewhere but then some-one else would have the annoyance at finding it in their change and I like to be a nice person. So instead it hung around in my 'junk' drawer until the day came when I needed something to cover a bolt hole in the engine of my car when I was using a three legged puller, okay that's probably more info than you needed but suffice to say I've still got the coin and it now has a very large dent in it.

I'm usually pretty good at spotting them before I take the change, but if I don't ... meh. It gets thrown away. It'd be a criminal offence to pass it on - and having spotted it, you can't even claim being unaware of the fakery.

I'm usually pretty good at spotting them before I take the change, but if I don't ... meh. It gets thrown away. It'd be a criminal offence to pass it on - and having spotted it, you can't even claim being unaware of the fakery.

Why not use it as a shopping trolley coin or collect them to use instead of match sticks when playing cards.

Just think, you could openly gamble with them in pubs etc. as they are only chips and not real tender.

Apparently there are 30 million fake coins in circulation so most of us are likely to come across one or two.

What shall you do with yours - hand it in to the police, pass it on or throw it away ?

It is quite possible that if you, knowingly or not, attempt to spend one the retailer could call the police.

It seems too that there is no mechanism to exchange fakes you discover for good ones so no incentive to hand them in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/sep/22/consumeraffairs

If there are as many as 30 million in circulation ,then they have already been passed off as real currency, passed back and forth between consumers and retailers already many times over.

So I somehow doubt that the consumer would get apprehended by the police for trying to spend a fake pound coin!:hihi:

It may mean that retailers now will be more cautious in accepting pound coins, until eventually the consumer is left with a number of coins that they can no longer use.

You can sleep safe though, you won't get in trouble if you try to spend one, after all you were given the fake pound coin from somewhere else, perhaps even from the very shop that is calling the police because you are attempting to spend said fake pound coin!:hihi:

I put all mine in the tub with the other 100 or so fakes i have. I used to hand them in at the bank but now i have decided to collect them (the ones that parking meters don't take anyway).

I have had some real crackers in my time, from the obvious lead lumps through fairly convincing cast ones to foreign coins with the same size and composition (Swaziland Llangollen). I have my best 13 mounted in a frame on the wall.

pass it onto someone else who can cop for the loss

i never have a prob getting shut of funny money

Some of the fake paper money about at the moment is remarkable quality.

I'd keep it in my gym bag and have it as my locker pound, or keep it in the car and use it as my trolley pound.