Sat & Sun League Football 60's 70's

On 12/06/2022 at 17:27, abbeyedges said:

I played for the Abbey Hotel, 1972 - 1974. I remember games against Timbertop. Our home games were on pitches behind Maud Maxfield school at Bents Green.

can remember playing abbey we won the sunday regional league 3 in 75 by .0006 of a goal and received the cup and medals at top rank suite unfortunately i had to shake hands with ken knighton to receive my medal will never forget him kicking everybody wearing a red and white shirt 6 foot in the air playing for hull at the lane in march 71

I played for Norfolk park TA in sheffield regional league in the 70s and 80s a very successful team 

Edited by manorlad5

I played for and helped run the Roland Arms  in the Sunday Imperial league back in the 70s,we started from scratch with no funds but what the players and the pub regulars raised with raffles and the kit donated by the landlord Les Pashley!.We were told from the start it was a fools err

and that no one would be interested but the original members stuck at it and it took off!.In the first few seasons we were promoted from the bottom division all the way to the top tier,never winning always the runners up every season!.Also playing in the league cup final the first year at Hillsborough Park stadium loosing 2-0 ,we turned from a team playing for enjoyment into an outfit that was feared,I will always remember when the cup draw was being done at the York Hotel our name was called then our opponents,the audible loud groan was music to my ears!.I always think back with pleasure the games and the social life we had in those years ,I made a lot of friends who I sometimes bump into and remember back to those happy times back in the day!.

Aston cum Aughton just after Swallownest Lee,just remembered to mention our home set up!.We had a pitch on Lodge Lane with seperate heated changing rooms for visiting teams,the ref had his own room!.Heated showers,we played with nets on the goalposts and sometimes with linesmen,remember what some of the park pitches were like at that time many of our opponents were  gobsmacked at our facilities !,

2 hours ago, old tup said:

Aston cum Aughton just after Swallownest Lee,just remembered to mention our home set up!.We had a pitch on Lodge Lane with seperate heated changing rooms for visiting teams,the ref had his own room!.Heated showers,we played with nets on the goalposts and sometimes with linesmen,remember what some of the park pitches were like at that time many of our opponents were  gobsmacked at our facilities !,

Parkwood springs pitch .top of the World that one.

1 hour ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Parkwood springs pitch .top of the World that one.

Yes, that was the old heliport, top of Cooks Wood Road on the left heading towards Shirecliffe . Not much of changing facilities there and I think part of that is still used but perhaps private now not council.

Edited by St Petre

Still used  there is a portakabin now . or was  when i looked  last winter .