Looking for my roots

Hi everyone

I need help trying to find my roots in Sheffield. I was born there in 1966. and I really need to find my family , most important my father. I have never meet him so it is very important for me. I live here in Germany since my mother brought me back her in 1968. If anyone has any kind of tip how to start my search over in GB. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Hi everyone

I need help trying to find my roots in Sheffield. I was born there in 1966. and I really need to find my family , most important my father. I have never meet him so it is very important for me. I live here in Germany since my mother brought me back her in 1968. If anyone has any kind of tip how to start my search over in GB. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Suggest you try phone records first - I find it can be relatively easy to find people unless they have a common name. Unfortunately quite a number of people are ex-directory these days though.

There are a number of internet sites where you can search the Electoral Registers ( for a small fee ) but again people can choose that their record is not made public.

You can write to the Sheffield Star Newpaper http://www.thestar.co.uk/ ; they may be willing to put your resuest in the paper.

Best of luck

Any clues? names?

My fathers name is James Albert Reading. But I don´t know if he lives here. We lived at Blackstock Road 14 this was the hous of my grandmother as far as I know.

that´s about all I know

I suggest that you start with your birth certificate which will have your place of birth plus (hopefully) your father's name and occupation. From this you will be able to find his birth details and any of his siblings assuming that there are some.

Take down information from any family members you're in touch with, your mother for example assumng that she's still alive.

You'll be surprised how far forward you can come once you have the basics and, don't be afraid to ask on here once you have this information provided it's done with dignity i.e. people can always send you a private message if they know the person you're seeking.

Good luck.

DUFFEMS is quite right, and I have PM'd a possible address from the electoral register.

Well I was born in Sheffield , Jessop Hospital on 2nd Aug.1966. my father was a Gunner with the Royal Artillery, stationed in Germany .Hildesheim at that time. I know that I must have more relatives in Sheffield but I don´t know the names .My father had a brother and sisters. If anybody knows him or any relatives please let me know. I really want to get to know them. For I never had any contact to them and know nothing about my British roots.

What does it say about your father on your birth certificate?

I´m sorry but that is all There are no further details on the birth certificate

Hello Everyone again

I just wanted to thank everybody that has given me tips here. I have found my father, with the help of a great forum member ( beechnut ). he was very helpful and he managed to get me in contact with my father, witch I have never met.

So thank you very much to everyone

and a special thanks to beechnut

Chantelle

All's well that ends well, and I'm delighted to have been able to put Chantelle in touch with her father (I have a subscription to 192.com)

This is, in part, what the Forum is all about, and I must admit that it brought a tear to the eye of this tough old beechnut...