The Boys (and Girls) Are Back In Town

just love students we've got three vans working flat out transporting them and their wordly goods around the country,and at the end of the month i'm off to the costa's to spend all that grant money on loads of san miguel.....happy days

One up side then? i left Sheffield for 2 weeks let the buggers arrive get drunk **** puke and sometimes **** over Sheffield.

Leave them to thinking us locals are here just for directions, no we don't mind if you push in front of us, what you was stood at the bus stop for an age and did not realise you need to pay?

of course they love a debate but with the bus driver? (we do not mind we are surplus people)

your aggression is also welcome and of course if it was us working class the police would nick us fro drunken behavior, never mind you are in a residential area screaming and shouting, yes that traffic cone is there for you to let of fireworks, of course park on the pavement.

Summer Time in Sheffield is good when you are not here, but welcome.

One up side then? i left Sheffield for 2 weeks let the buggers arrive get drunk **** puke and sometimes **** over Sheffield.

Leave them to thinking us locals are here just for directions, no we don't mind if you push in front of us, what you was stood at the bus stop for an age and did not realise you need to pay?

of course they love a debate but with the bus driver? (we do not mind we are surplus people)

your aggression is also welcome and of course if it was us working class the police would nick us fro drunken behavior, never mind you are in a residential area screaming and shouting, yes that traffic cone is there for you to let of fireworks, of course park on the pavement.

Summer Time in Sheffield is good when you are not here, but welcome.

Oh, give over. It's boring. If you don't like it, move somewhere where there aren't two really good universities.

DippyDore - Hallam isn't a redbrick university, Sheffield is. I'm suprised anyone with a degree wouldn't know that, to be honest ;)

Oh, give over. It's boring. If you don't like it, move somewhere where there aren't two really good universities.

DippyDore - Hallam isn't a redbrick university, Sheffield is. I'm suprised anyone with a degree wouldn't know that, to be honest ;)

i was born and bread here my love, so darling they can be anti social, commit crimes? be aggressive and abusive to locals and we have to move? what about live and let live, there welcome but they have to at least think of others ie local people, i joke not i have gone away for 2 weeks as been in Sheffield this time of year is hell, neither the police or both uni will nowt about there actions, but local people doing what there doing we would be nicked, what about some equilibrium here?

God what a bore.

I think we can all put up with a bit of puke on the pavement considering the benefits to our local economy.

Some people are so short-sighted.

God what a bore.

I think we can all put up with a bit of puke on the pavement considering the benefits to our local economy.

Some people are so short-sighted.

I sincerely hope they aren't short sighted. Not when there are piles of puke on the pavement.

Anyway, I suspect one of the many coffee houses will be out to scrape it back up again as it makes very good coleslaw.

i was born and bread here my love, so darling they can be anti social, commit crimes? be aggressive and abusive to locals and we have to move? what about live and let live, there welcome but they have to at least think of others ie local people, i joke not i have gone away for 2 weeks as been in Sheffield this time of year is hell, neither the police or both uni will nowt about there actions, but local people doing what there doing we would be nicked, what about some equilibrium here?

Have you contacted the police and the university with your concerns?

Have you contacted the police and the university with your concerns?

is this a joke?

I didn't see any of that signage whilst driving around Sheff the other day. Mind you, I'm very short-sighted and generally can't read any of the signs so that is maybe why. I did have the radio on though, in my trusty little Nissan Micra, and it was announced that the students were coming, i.e. either returning or arriving for the first time.

If you can't read road signs you certainly shouldn't be driving

I think some of you on here are getting a bit carried away though about the "excellence" of our universities. For a start, Hallam isn't a proper university. Like lots of second rate, red brick universities around the country, it changed it's name from "polytechnic" to "university" to make it sound better. It's still basically a polytechnic, we should be clear about that.

Hallam just didn't change its name just to make it sound better. For a start they couldn't just change the name to university just because they felt like it. It has have university status for it to be called a university. Hallam achieved university status in 1993 when it started doing language courses.

Besides that, The Times Higher reports Sheffield Hallam is top of league table:

The top ten Universities in the report:

1. Sheffield Hallam

2. Middlesex

3. Oxford

4. Leeds

5. University of the West of England

6. Loughborough

7. Central Lancashire

8. Nottingham Trent

9. Salford

10. Southampton

Source: The Times Higher

:P

PS I did my degree at Hallam and I also work there too. It's great uni!!!

is this a joke?

No, not at all. If you seriously think the police let students off when they've committed crimes purely by virtue of the fact that they're students, you need to (a) have some evidence to back up your claims and (b) take it up with the university and the police.

I can tell you that Sheffield University do take bad behaviour from students seriously because I'm forever getting emails telling us all that bad behaviour will not be tolerated; that if it's serious enough the perpetrators will be booted out of university.

Top of the league tablefor teaching quality

http://www.shu.ac.uk/university/news/times.html

I'm not trying to pee on anyone's bonfire here but for the sake of accuracy, top of

a new teaching quality league table.

The table summarises a project carried out by Scotland-based researchers led by Robert Raeside, director of research at Napier University, which 'adjusts' Quality Assurance Agency teaching quality inspection (TQI) scores published between 1995 and 2001 to remove general 'bias' towards pre-1992 universities.

The findings appear in the latest edition of Quality in Higher Education, as Recounting the Scores: An Analysis of the QAA Subject Review Grades 1995-2001.

Philip Garrahan, pro vice-chancellor for academic development at Sheffield Hallam University, said: "The university welcomes and is delighted by the results of this research. Bearing in mind the dangers of deriving a single score from a complex review methodology, we nevertheless feel that the research validates our experience of providing high-quality learning to students from diverse backgrounds."