Chunk of plastic found in Fish Finger

I'm furious :rant:

Did myself some Birdseye fish fingers earlier and bit into a serious chunk of sharp plastic. It's not far from half an inch in length and triangular with three sharp corners and edging. If a child had swallowed this... well I dread to think. Having a child myself I can only be thankful I copped for it and realised before I swallowed the thing. To be honest, looking at it, I can't imagine the consequences would be too pleasant for an adult either.

So yes, I know I need to complain but I'm reluctant to send it off to the company. They could deny all knowledge of receiving it. I could (and will be) taking photographs as evidence but does anyone know which action I should be taking for the best here?

No witty remarks please. As much as I know most here love a laugh I'm very serious and disturbed by this. :(:rant:

Call their consumer services department first and they will tell you how to proceed.

A huge company like Birds Eye will not resort to anything as tacky as denying they received it but send it registered anyway. They will be more concerned about how it happened and how they can prevent it happening again. They will definitely reimburse you and then some.

Thanks deedar. I've rescued the box from the bin and I assume a number will be on there. I'll contact them tomorrow. I'm more concerned that this won't indeed happen again.

Thanks deedar. I've rescued the box from the bin and I assume a number will be on there. I'll contact them tomorrow. I'm more concerned that this won't indeed happen again.

You're welcome, I'm glad your child didn't get it and no harm was done to you. Let us know how you got on.

You're welcome, I'm glad your child didn't get it and no harm was done to you. Let us know how you got on.

Thanks. I will do :)

they'll want the batch code etc off the box for a start, and yes they'll investigate

you'll probably be sent vouchers or something for further products - but when you receive those it's up to you if you accept them or press them for something else

I'd refuse to accept anything for more of their products. I've always liked and trusted Birdseye but I think it'll be a while before I want to eat their stuff again. I'm aware it's a one off and very rare but I'd be insulted by an offer of "here, we nearly choked you, eat more of our stuff"

I have the box, know when and where I bought it and plenty of info for them so hopefully they can investigate this matter fully.

I actually feel sick today.

Take photo's of the item before sending it

Yep, ta, will be doing. :)

Someone I know found a rotten berry in a bottle of Ribena and almost choked on it. She got paid a fair bit to keep quiet

I'd refuse to accept anything for more of their products. I've always liked and trusted Birdseye but I think it'll be a while before I want to eat their stuff again. I'm aware it's a one off and very rare but I'd be insulted by an offer of "here, we nearly choked you, eat more of our stuff"

I have the box, know when and where I bought it and plenty of info for them so hopefully they can investigate this matter fully.

I actually feel sick today.

I once found a 3" darning needle in a Fletcher's loaf. It had obviously been inserted after the slicing operation because it impaled about a dozen slices, but as there was no damage to the packaging it must've been inserted prior to bagging.

Thankfully, it had been fairly easily spotted, as there was a brown (rust?) mark surrounding the needle shaft on each slice.

I took it back to the sales shop manager, who was naturally as surprised/amazed as I was, and details were taken.

A couple of days later, a Fletcher's delivery van driver delivered a rather nice cake to my house, by way of an apology.

How the needle got in the loaf was never explained/discovered - disgruntled staff? - but I've since read that my case was not the only one.

Suffice to say, I've eaten bread since, and I'd guess that you too will not be boycotting Bird's Eye products for very long!

No I wont be boycotting Birdseye but just would take it as an insult should they think I want money off/vouchers for more of their products when I literally wanted to puke there and then :gag:

This could happen with anything. I know that much. I just don't want it overlooked or fobbed off thats all :)