Laser Eye Treatment

Pioneered by Russians years, back (1980s I think) £20 for both eyes

Remember the episode of the Simpson's were Bart goes forward in time and sees Ned walking down the street in dark glass using a white stick,Bart says hi Ned what happened to you Ned replies they never mentioned the long term side effects of laser correction surgery.

It works by a laser slicing part of the surface of the eyeball, peeling it back, correcting any defect and then sticking it back down to heal. You might as well know what's involved before going for it. I enquired a year ago but my eyes are too dry and the company was worried they might not heal naturally after the surgery although eye drops may help. You also may still need specs afterwards anyway, such as for reading if you have myopia corrected. You can have different surgery on each eye to balance this out though, one eye for reading, one for long vision. I ended up getting some new specs in the end as the company missed two of my appointments and I gave up. On the other hand everyone I know who's had it has said it's great.

Has anyone had this done, i'm thinking of going for it, my prescription is pretty bad and have worn them for as long as i can remember. Wondering what people thought of it...

a. where did you get it done

b. how much did it cost

c. are you happy with the service you got

d. are you happy with the results

oh and is the cost linked to how poor your eyesight is to start with?

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 21:02 ----------

guess it didnt work as non of you saw this thread :P

Hi there,

I have very high myopia and astigmatism and I was wondering to get a laser eye surgery at Sheffield Vision Centre. Does anyone know how good is this centre? How are the doctors? I would go through RElex smile surgery and the thing is I found it really strange that it’s £2100 the whole surgery and the consultation is free of charge. Is this even possible? Everywhere in the UK is £6000 this procedure and only here is £2100. Any thoughts?

many thanks 

8 hours ago, Susanna33 said:

Hi there,

I have very high myopia and astigmatism and I was wondering to get a laser eye surgery at Sheffield Vision Centre. Does anyone know how good is this centre? How are the doctors? I would go through RElex smile surgery and the thing is I found it really strange that it’s £2100 the whole surgery and the consultation is free of charge. Is this even possible? Everywhere in the UK is £6000 this procedure and only here is £2100. Any thoughts?

many thanks 

Not sure if the quoted low price is for very low prescriptions, there seemed to be a sliding scale when I was looking at various clinics.  I had a very high prescription and a severe astigmatism, just a quarter point away from the limit for surgery.   I can't remember exactly what mine cost, but it was around £4000 I think.  I had all the extras to so I paid more for the anti-halo drops, wavefront, stronger painkillers, etc. 😁

I had mine done at the Vision Centre at the Hallamshire (years ago, see above!)  because after consultations at Ultralase, vision express and the other nationwide one at the time,  I had zero confidence in the others.  Spin on 13 or so years, and I've never had any problems.   I've got slightly short sighted again, but not even enough to bother with specs.   

Got to have laser treatment on both eyes to correct high pressure anyone had it done painfully painless after effects any info appreciated cheers

My youngest daughter has just been told to get glasses, and while shopping for them I noticed an ad in Optical Express(i think) for £595 per eye for laser correction.

Seems a good price, has the price come down a lot in recent years?  Seems logical.

39 minutes ago, sheffandy said:

My youngest daughter has just been told to get glasses, and while shopping for them I noticed an ad in Optical Express(i think) for £595 per eye for laser correction.

Seems a good price, has the price come down a lot in recent years?  Seems logical.

You/she won’t pay that. That’s for the cheaper option (can’t remember the name LASEK as opposed to LASIK maybe?) and it will run to about £3k. If it’s the one in Meadowhall it’s quick and initially painless. The anesthetic will last till you just about get to your ride home, then it will hurt, quite a lot. The “oh, you’ll be at work the next day” is ******** too, certainly if she stares at a screen all day. Your eyes are dry, a little sore (the pain went away after a couple of hours) and you’re faffing with eye drops, don’t wash your hair for a week, don’t shower, don’t open an oven(!)  (all this imparted within two minutes of you having said procedure) and a couple of other things I’ve forgot that aren’t mentioned in the brochure.

But have it done. Take some painkillers to chuck down your neck as soon as you leave and a pair of sunnies for the trip to the car (sun will seem very bright initially) - I ended up working early and wearing safety glasses so I didn’t rub my eyes inadvertently. But do it, the difference - even for me who didn’t have a “big” prescription - is huge. I wish I’d had it done earlier.

I have astigmatism and a lazy eye ( same eye) the high street clinics wouldn't touch me. Had both eyes done at Sheffield Vision centre ( Hallamshire hospital) 5 yrs ago best money  I ever spent. Not painful but the op is weird, then it's like your eyes are full of grit for several hours and you just need to lie down in a darkened room, and they stream. By the evening of the op the grittiness had gone and my sight was incredible. Takes several weeks for your eyesight to settle at where it's actually supposed to be, and there's some aftercare and do's and don'ts, but for me was well well worth it.  

On 10/10/2019 at 19:29, Hans-solo said:

Got to have laser treatment on both eyes to correct high pressure anyone had it done painfully painless after effects any info appreciated cheers 

Hans, had this done a few years back, with the old yag laser! It was very fast, very painless. Maybe I had a slight headache for an hour or two after, which paracetamol took care of. (Long enough ago that the details are fading.)

In my case it lowered the pressure, but not enough, so am still on eye drops -- the combination of the surgery and the drops worked a treat. If I recall correctly, they did one eye, let it heal for a month or two, then did the other. 

Best wishes!

Dozer