Tommy Wards Elephant

the elephant was used because all the horses were commandered for the forces in WW1

yes i've gathered that much but does anyone have any more information about where the elephant came from?

Would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sophie

I have a photo of Wards elephant if anyone wants it. I used to work in the Publicity Dept of Thos W. Ward in the early 70's.

I was very interested to see Tommy Ward's elephant mentioned. We have an old newspaper photo of Lizzie on our wall. T W Ward was my great uncle, and the story as I know it was that all the heavy horses which pulled the coal carts were commandeeredfor the 14-18 war, and Wards bought Lizzie to pull the coal cart. From a circus. They also employed her Indian mahoot who knew all her needs. I would love to hear any more about her.

Hi I used to work at T W WARD Tinsley Transport Department as a HGV driver and I remember an old guy who worked there telling me that Lizzie Ward would pick a child up off the road with its trunk (if one ran out in front of her) and put them back on the path !

I do not know how true it was but sounds good to me !

Hi guys, I'm quite new to the forum. I'm a Sheffield born songwriter now living in Selby.

I wrote a song about "Lizzie" and am now looking for info on Duke of Darnall, Russian Edna & long Sammy, any other suggestions for new titles would be appreciated.

I would love a photo. How do I get it ?

I have a photo of Lizzie Ward in my kitchen - I just printed it off the internet.