Tommy Wards Elephant

Although, I never actually saw it my family told me about the Elephant that worked for Tommy Wards steelworks on attercliffe road in the thirties. Apparentley, pulling loads of steel around from one gate to another, but the coming of the second world war changed everything.

I also heard that and believe it to be true.

I think the Elephant came from a visiting circus.

Reasons for it being given to the steel works i,m not sure of.

If you go to the Sheffield Libraries website at:

http://www.picturesheffield.com

Click on e for elephant and you will see a picture of not only "Lizzie Ward" carrying out her war work but her friends the camels just off the Wicker.

Yes, there are some photos in the "britain in photographs: Sheffield" book.

Regarding Lizzie Ward's friends the camel's , they belonged to my Grt Grandfathers brother Thomas Oxley. He worked on Stanley Street , just off the Wicker . In the photo he's the one at the front holding on . The picture was taken to advertise his work's & Tommy Wards .

Originally posted by halevan

Although, I never actually saw it my family told me about the Elephant that worked for Tommy Wards steelworks on attercliffe road in the thirties. Apparentley, pulling loads of steel around from one gate to another, but the coming of the second world war changed everything.

ask sheffield council thave got a lot of white ones

Another one of "My Dad Says"

Hi

Tommy Wards elephant was stabled across the rd from my dad's home in Bedford St or so he said. Tomlinsons Funeral parlour was there and I remember on visiting my grandma that it had a

large round entrance. He said the size of the entrance was why it was kept there and not far from the steel works.

He said T W's elephant kicked his ront tooth out but I think it was a pit pony down the pit.

Hazel

are there anymore exotic animals that worked in sheffield?

you can see some photos of the elephant at morrisons cafe pulling some sort of trailer some other old pics too of days gone by ecclesfield morrisons by the way

Originally posted by halevan

I worked at Tommy Clarkes in the early 70s terrible dark damp place,the conditions wrer horrendous,but I enjoyed the time there,it was during the 3 day week & power cuts.

Hi there, I am doing some research for a project about Sheffield history and wondered if anyone could give me any information of where Lizzie Ward the elephant came from and indeed her working partnership with Tommy Ward. Any thoughts/suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.

many Thanks,

Sophie