Northern ave shops Arbourthone

no, lindy, Londis was never a car spares. The sandwich shop next to Londis was the car spares shop, the first shop on the row with Londis was a butchers (left side as you face the row of shops)

Londis was "Salls" Stores (as was the supermarket round by pearl motors on East Bank Road) in the 1970's when I was a kid.

im sure londis was extended in to freds after it was burnt down malcoms the butchers was where the sandwich shop is my son used to work in malcoms but its a while ago i could be wrong will ask next time im up there

I think my cousin Marie Ryan used to live near there.

im guessing no one knows what happened to the missing bit to the right of londis ?

yup lindy3, malcoms is now the sarnie shop,the shop next door was dodgy freds but is now part of londis (-:

As I remember in early 40s the circle of shops included

Floods who was general grocers

Chip Shop.

Shentalls -loose biscuits in square tins. lemonade crystals

Greengrocers.

Chemist.

Butchers

and on East Bank Rd was a shop called Ellisons,

hazel

Getting away from the shops on this , but in the early fifties , 51-54 , if you went up Northern Avenue towards Craddock , there use to be a concrete building on the north west corner . We used to explore this place as kids . Inside there were railings that formed walk ways , as though to line up for something . Does anyone remember this building and what was it for ? This has bothered me for 52 years , just have to find out . Sorry to get away from the thread but ......

do you mean the building on the corner of eastern ave and erriington? the old carlton cinama? was later called beacon lamps and i think it made light bulbs?.

ive always know it to be empty until it was demolished and houses built there.

the old Carlton cinema was a light-bulb warehouse into the early/ mid eighties.

it stood derelict for some time, before thankfully being demolished and a flats development called "Carlton Mews" was built on the site about 12 yrs ago.

The Carlton's architecture was interesting, as it was built in an unusual way, using an innovative method of casting the concrete.

It was known colloquially as "the Icebox" because it was so cold (the concrete's insulating properties were poor)

can anyone remember the shop 'pincushion ' on northern avenue - where the hairdressers now is ?? i have fond memories of going there with my nan to buy cotton ,buttons etc .

do you mean the building on the corner of eastern ave and erriington? the old carlton cinama? was later called beacon lamps and i think it made light bulbs?.

ive always know it to be empty until it was demolished and houses built there.

No , I remember the Carlton . This was a small building and I'm sure it was on the north west corner of Northern and Craddock . It was grey concrete , the railings (stell pipe/tube ) inside and out were green/rusty . The whole building was not much bigger than the houses that surounded it . Someone must remember this .

can anyone remember the shop 'pincushion ' on northern avenue - where the hairdressers now is ?? i have fond memories of going there with my nan to buy cotton ,buttons etc .

I remember Pincushion very well.

I used to buy my wool from there.

(-: yup i remember the pincushion, and next door was sheffield sportsman, thats now tonys pet foods (-:

No , I remember the Carlton . This was a small building and I'm sure it was on the north west corner of Northern and Craddock . It was grey concrete , the railings (stell pipe/tube ) inside and out were green/rusty . The whole building was not much bigger than the houses that surounded it . Someone must remember this .

was a little before my time i think clocker,but next time i see my elderly relative i will ask her about it (-: