Northern ave shops Arbourthone

bit of a long shot but somthing that has been bugging me for years is if you look at the shops on northern ave something seems missing?

they are set out in a kind of circle around the cross roads but if you look at each building they are very alike,all exept the building that is now a sanwich shop an the premier/londis shop?

the rest of the buildings if you take a look at the roofs all have "hips" to each side exept premier that has a gable end?

all the rest look like they were kind of designed as one large shop in the middle with a smaller shop to either side.

just wondered if anyone knew if they were built like that or if something happened later on.

i asked a old relative once, she remembers the shops been built and also before they were built,aparently there used to be a kind of shed general store,but she can not remember if they were like that from the start.

no, there was an "extra" bit attached to the Londis, originally, but by the 70's it had gone.

I'm not sure whether it was bombed, or burnt down, or what happened to it, but it was definitely gone in the 70's.

no, there was an "extra" bit attached to the Londis, originally, but by the 70's it had gone.

I'm not sure whether it was bombed, or burnt down, or what happened to it, but it was definitely gone in the 70's.

Yeah i was sure there should have been somthing there,just never heard from anyone what happened to it? (-:

i moved on arbourthorne around 79 and it wasnt there then

Is that where Fred's car spares was? That was burned down by the local kids (allegedly) in the mid 90s.

The place that is now a sandwich shop used to be a butchers in the early 70's (and probably well before then). No prizes for guessing how I know!

freds shop was joined on to shop next door its now premier used to be londis

freds shop was joined on to shop next door its now premier used to be londis

no, lindy, Londis was never a car spares. The sandwich shop next to Londis was the car spares shop, the first shop on the row with Londis was a butchers (left side as you face the row of shops)

Londis was "Salls" Stores (as was the supermarket round by pearl motors on East Bank Road) in the 1970's when I was a kid.

yeah you have the sarnie shop,used to be a butchers (malcoms)then next door dodgy freds car spares(used to be a laundrette years back)now part of londis/premier then londis,now premier.the bit thats missing is the other side. if you look at the building from the front its the far right.?

Is that where Fred's car spares was? That was burned down by the local kids (allegedly) in the mid 90s.

yeah dodgey freds burning down also saw the end to malcoms butchers as from what i wa told he had no insurance and the fire wiped his shop out too

That butchers did the best roast pork sandwiches in the world when I was at Hurlfield school

is the fish and chip shop still there half a cob and filled with real chips yum