Science Fiction

:roll:

:help:

Just kidding, I envy your knowledge:D

OK Hodge. You say the universe has been expanding for 15 billion years so we may be in the centre of a big bang "shell." How and why the centre? Suppose our bit of spacetime occurred on the outside edge of spacetime at some point and so the exact point of creation for the universe is in only one direction from us as we are now? In other words we could be on the edge of spacetime, not in its centre.

This proves time travel is possible. A 16 year old post has just had a reply!!!

The time travel to the past thing is based on travelling faster than light, and just looking back at what happened in the past. You would have overtook the images, and be able to look at them. Handy if you don't have VAR set up.

As far as I know theoretically impossible, with our current understanding.

'Travel' to the future is possible, and proven. The closer you get to the speed of light, the more time dilation happens. i.e time in your locality 'passes slower' than time at the stationary locality.

e.g if you were at a funfair and could get a go on a spaceship that went 99% speed of light, and had a 10 minute ride, then years would have passed at the kiosk when you got back.

Sadly, and scarily, that is a one way ticket.

OK Woodview, are you referring to my post? I reckon you're being sarcastic when you say time travel is proven but look again at the meaning behind what I actually said. I meant that as spacetime expanded we appeared at some point. Why was that point necessarily at the centre of everything? Can you explain?  And by the way spacetime is not expanding at or even close to the speed of light, either, but much less. And the initial expansion was faster than c and it's called inflation. But my idea was about us appearing after inflation and within spacetime.

Edited by woolyhead

12 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

OK Woodview, are you referring to my post? I reckon you're being sarcastic when you say time travel is proven but look again at the meaning behind what I actually said. I meant that as spacetime expanded we appeared at some point. Why was that point necessarily at the centre of everything? Can you explain?  And by the way spacetime is not expanding at or even close to the speed of light, either, but much less. And the initial expansion was faster than c and it's called inflation. But my idea was about us appearing after inflation and within spacetime.

The 'time travel is possible' was a joke, referring to replying to a post from 2003..........

The rest of my post was about the OP, not your message.

1 hour ago, woolyhead said:

OK Hodge. You say the universe has been expanding for 15 billion years so we may be in the centre of a big bang "shell." How and why the centre? Suppose our bit of spacetime occurred on the outside edge of spacetime at some point and so the exact point of creation for the universe is in only one direction from us as we are now? In other words we could be on the edge of spacetime, not in its centre.

Only the centre as we observe it, not a true "centre" at all.

Also, you're replying to a thread 15 years after the fact, so I guess time travel does happen.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

This proves time travel is possible. A 16 year old post has just had a reply!!!

The time travel to the past thing is based on travelling faster than light, and just looking back at what happened in the past. You would have overtook the images, and be able to look at them. Handy if you don't have VAR set up.

As far as I know theoretically impossible, with our current understanding.

'Travel' to the future is possible, and proven. The closer you get to the speed of light, the more time dilation happens. i.e time in your locality 'passes slower' than time at the stationary locality.

e.g if you were at a funfair and could get a go on a spaceship that went 99% speed of light, and had a 10 minute ride, then years would have passed at the kiosk when you got back.

Sadly, and scarily, that is a one way ticket.

Observing the past doesn't mean you've gone to the past though.

We observe the past all the time, and when we listen it's even further behind!

36 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Only the centre as we observe it, not a true "centre" at all.

Also, you're replying to a thread 15 years after the fact, so I guess time travel does happen.

Observing the past doesn't mean you've gone to the past though.

We observe the past all the time, and when we listen it's even further behind!

I know, that's why i talked about just looking at images of what happened. I think you also traveled in time and knicked my joke btw.......

Also, the time traveller wouldn't be able to travel back to time before the first journey by all accounts. Recall hearing it somewhere.?

So what, Cyclone? You either quoted or said "the centre we observe is not really the true centre." Are you/he talking about small differences now, differences between the true centre and the one we observe? Either way we are not at the centre of the universe, like I said. So why would we see the point of creation in whichever direction we look?

Edited by woolyhead

50 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

So what, Cyclone? You either quoted or said "the centre we observe is not really the true centre." Are you/he talking about small differences now, differences between the true centre and the one we observe? Either way we are not at the centre of the universe, like I said. So why would we see the point of creation in whichever direction we look?

in my very limited understanding, there is no centre, but anywhere could be considered the centre, as an observer at that point. In the same way the surface of a sphere has no central point, all points are at an equal distance from it.

If you say that being at the centre of a circle is the same as being at the centre of the universe then you are assuming that we are at the centre, aren't you.  Where's the reasoning that leads to that? Of course. we know the universe has 3 special dimensions, unlike a circle but let's leave that aside for now. If you were a theoretical, lone  observer outside the universe where would you see us to be, at the centre? Why so?