Sheffield Forum in Sheffield Star today

I have never, ever seen censorship of opinions if they are properly expressed.

I have never, ever seen censorship of opinions if they are properly expressed.

You don't tend to see the deleted posts.

Apart from the last few months that's not true is it? ;)

You don't tend to see the deleted posts.

Completely ignoring the fact that Tony was an admin on this forum for almost all of the forum's history? I think he's in a better position to comment than most.

;4061154']There is too much censorship of opinions here though.

Opinions are not censored here. Racist views inciting hatred, posts supporting illegal acts, posts advocating violence, posts invading the privacy of others, posts making threats and those which constitute libel or defamation- they are a different matter.

There does seem to be a wide range of opinions on the forums. Some are fairly extreme to me but I wouldn't want them removed as it gives those who object to their opinion the chance to put the other side. If a councillor wishes to come on and put their opinion why not? At least we get the chance to tell him/her how we feel. I'm not sure how you sort out a party supporter from a politician. If we banned all political discussions in newspapers and forums. Just where would we ordinary people get our info from?

no he just likes to see his name in paper lol

I had apparently had a post removed.

I had forum penalty points against me, which I did not discover until after they had expired. So my words were censored without me having any recourse of redress.

The reason given was:

'Posting with intention to 'bait' or wind up a user'

Which is what lots of posters do, not that I was winding anyone up, I just repeated a bad joke about a pilot hitting a dam during ramadam.

Opinions are not censored here. Racist views inciting hatred, posts supporting illegal acts, posts advocating violence, posts invading the privacy of others, posts making threats and those which constitute libel or defamation- they are a different matter.

I fully disagree. I recently had posts removed. I had 'pulled up' an employment agency for advertising a job about 4 times within 2 weeks, all on different threads.

Within a day or two of the advert going up, they posted another saying the position had been filled. A day later, they were advertising for the exact same job.

I posted asking why they kept on advertising the same job and not long after, my posts were deleted. I hadn't expressed any of the things above, but was honestly asking the agency why the same post kept getting advertised.

Mods seem to be a little too willing to just delete a post recently, rather than allowing people to express their opinion.

Within realistic editorial boundaries everyone can and do express opinion's un-vetted on here. Obviously a moderator as a guide to work to, So on odd occasion's someone has a bit of hard luck.

All part of the game.

well it actually says "comment reported unsuitable by a user"

Sounds fishy to me.

I remember this user well, he was one of a handful of conspiracy theorists who were convinced that corruption was rife in community groups. I asked for his proof and was sent a multi-page diatribe which I faithfully read but within which I couldn't find a single shred of evidence.

I remember too why he was banned but due to forum policy that cannot be repeated. Suffice to say it was nothing to do with his views and opinions. In fact, in all the years I have been moderating no-one has been banned for their views or opinions nor have they had their posts censored or edited for those reasons.