"don't call 999 unless it's an emergency" advice falls on deaf ears

Do you mean like the 101 line that we have, here in Sheffield?

Exactly , but it just shows how it is not well known to the public by the fact that I didn't know about it !!!

My Bold.

Any idiot knows the Bizzies won't do anything till a person's been missing 24 hours.

They will if they are metally ill or have some other issue - then they go looking for them immediately!

Perhaps one way to deal with this problem would be to create a more "visible" non-emergency number?

In my hometown in the states, they did quite a large ad campaign publicising the non-emergency line (and gave it an easy-to-remember number) and the number of stupid calls to 911 dropped drastically.

The 999 number is for a CRIME IN PROGRESS (in case of wanting the police), or another emergency, hence you should have rung for the scrotes doing the window in...

I understood that 999 was for an accident or a threat to life and limb. I called 999 once to report a 'man of the road' who was very drunk and staggering very near the edge of a narrow pavement by a very busy road with big lorries thundering by, I was terrified he would fall into the road. I called twice, only to be told I should have called 2202020! Not much help. Thanks Woodseats police.

I thought everyone knew the number for 999 has changed to 0118 999 881 999 119 7253.